Thread: Am I the onliest person I know with a 17WSM?

Smile Am I the onliest person I know with a 17WSM?

I have been hauling mine to the woods on most trips but this time of year it's a jungle and vermin are hard to see. However there has been a raccoon that is trying to chew it's way into my hunting cabin. He has bee taking his daily poop on the window sill on the porch. He has one pane of glass in that window almost worked loose. Last night Just before dusk it was still 90 stinking degrees and not a stick of air moving. I crawled up on the roof of the cabin and put my camo lawn chair straddle of the peak of the roof. I fixed my eyeballs on the path leading to the big den tree about 75 yards away. As it got closer to dark the skeeters got more numerous and just about the time them skeeter was about to make me wave a white flag I saw that lard butt bore coon waddling down that path. I put the cross hairs on his forehead and feathered the trigger. He took his last poop minus the back of his noggin. The recoil from this Ruger 77/17WSM is so light that I got to actually see his brain matter scatter amongst the poison ivy and ginseng plants.

I am anxious to see what it will do to the boiler room of a coyote.

I love my .17 hmr! Nothing like head shooting bird out to 100+ yards. Still waiting for the chance to take a fox or wolf with it.

I too like my .17hmr. IT is a blast to shoot. I like to line up lollipops on a 2x4 and then commence to shooting at the lollipops just to watch them explode! They don't explode with a 22LR...but with the .17hmr, there is nothing left of the lollipop.

17HMR is not the same thing as the 17 WSM. Totally different critter getter. But the 17HMR is fun too.
    Henry Bowman for President

I do realize that. But like you said, they are similar enough to jump on this thread lol.

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    I do realize that. But like you said, they are similar enough to jump on this thread lol.
    Yup, nothing wrong with the HMR version of the 17 either. The WSM is just an HMR on steroids. They both make the 22lr seem boring. The WSM is a step up but it is coming on the heels of everyone already being set up with the HMR and the HMR is enough of a good thing that the WSM may fade into oblivion. I think I'll buy a couple thousand rounds of the WSM before Hornady and Federal decide it isn't worth the effort.

I've found the 17hmr fun to shoot but lacking on performance on coon sized critters. Just not quite enough thump to it. I'd rather use stick with the old 22. Or better yet a 22 mag which is my favorite small critter killer. I haven't tried out the 17 wsm yet though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Nolte View Post
    I've found the 17hmr fun to shoot but lacking on performance on coon sized critters. Just not quite enough thump to it. I'd rather use stick with the old 22. Or better yet a 22 mag which is my favorite small critter killer. I haven't tried out the 17 wsm yet though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    I have a couple of 22mags one in a Henry lever action and the other is a Ruger bolt gun. I like the killing power of the 45 grain Dyna Point. It behaves more like a big gun where as the little 17s are fun for blowing stuff up. There is room for both. None of the 17s are very fur friendly.

Lotta 17WMR's in the prairie dog country I frequent. It's wind country too, but until the wind comes up the guys have a lot of fun with the 17's. You'd think the 20's would be a hot deal there too, but when guys own 17's and want a wind gun, they usually skip the 20's and jump right up to 22's, or in a couple of cases to 24's. Most popular 22 is still the 22-250, though there are a couple of guys who do well with Swifts. The 243 Winnie is the hands down favorite 24.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard