Thread: upper chena report?

Default upper chena report?

Heading up to the hot springs friday with the wife for some R&R. I plan on bringing the 7wt with me and was curious how the the fishing is up by the resort. Any info on bead color / streamer color etc would be awesome.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Quote Originally Posted by ProHunterAK View Post
    Heading up to the hot springs friday with the wife for some R&R. I plan on bringing the 7wt with me and was curious how the the fishing is up by the resort. Any info on bead color / streamer color etc would be awesome.
    Fishing is pretty good! To be honest I never fish beads and almost never fish streamers, but tend to favor wet flies and nymphs (but mostly wet flies). Right now you'll do best with some weight on your fly fished close to the banks - being brave about losing flies will get you that much further, too. That said, dries are working right now, too, at least in some spots, but it's not as productive as fishing deep. Again, close to the banks until the water drops (look for slow sections and eddies). Chums are coming up the river and hanging out in sloughs so be careful about those - they're not legal on the upper river.

Tight lines, and have an excellent day!
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Thanks I do have some nymphs and such in my go to box going to give it a few hours effort as well as try some beads for grayling and trout as well. its all about just enjoying some time away from the kids.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

No trout in that system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have something smaller than your 7 wt bring it. I never fish the Upper Chena with anything bigger than my 3 or 5 wt.

Just drove by the upper reaches yesterday. Its come down a bunch. Honestly up a little, and maybe a little color but easily fishable. 7wt is a ton of rod for the upper chena.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Yah I managed to pull out a few nice fish only fished a few hours. Sadly all I own is a 7wt (just getting back into the sport). Landed a few nice grayling at creek by the hot springs entrance. In my mad dash out of the house i forgot my dry fly and wet fly box on the counter but did have my bead box in the truck. Managed to pull a few with 8mm beads and more so was just a good outing with the wife and relaxing weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by ProHunterAK View Post
    creek by the hot springs entrance
    FYI - Monument Creek. I've fished it a few miles above the hot springs down to the confluence. Beautiful water and great fishing if your timing is right. Sight fishing grayling in small, gin clear water is pretty d@mn fun.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"