Thread: Taylor Hwy Youth Hunt YC831

Default Taylor Hwy Youth Hunt YC831

My middle son was lucky enough this year to draw the early season youth tag for the 40 mile caribou. Was wondering, sense they'll be no big crowds in the area, has anyone driven the Taylor Hwy lately and seen any around?

call fish and game in Tok 883-4471 and ask were the herd is.

Yeah, I've done that and its the standard early season answer, zone 2. We've hunted this heard for years but always later and have been very successful, I was just looking to see where they might be early season. That hotline is worthless until they fly the area, then it's only as good as the day it was flown.

GA,

My middle daughter drew that same tag two years ago. We had planned to hunt along the Taylor Highway, but, the caribou weren't there during that early Youth Hunting season. So, we switched to the Steese Highway and found quite a few animals traveling in small bands up there. She shot a nice bull on 8/15/2014 a few miles east of Mastodon Dome. We accessed that area with our truck on a trail that leads south from Miller House along the Steese. Don't recall the exact mile marker, but, look at the Alaska Atlas & Gazateer, page 127, area C4.

Good Luck to your son!
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Thanks Blu, we are heading out Friday morning and hope to find one. I have a few locations we've killed at before but like mentioned above, they were during the later season.

if no Bou on the Taylor, we will switch and head north.

We spent 4-5 days up there last week hiking around and exploring. Went most of the way to Eagle and drove the new pavement to Boundary. Didn't see a single boo, but a lot can change in a week. Talked to a couple of guys that had a video of a decent bull running down the road most of the way to Eagle. Best of luck to the youngster! Would love to hear a trip report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, ended up having to go way east to even start seeing bou. Talked to some locals a few miners who all said the same thing, go towards Boundary or up closer to Eagle and sure enough, we started seeing a few animals.

Not sure why the pics keep turning sideways.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow, that's a fantastic animal! Congratulations to the young hunter!

That is a stunning caribou! I love the tops on that bull! Did you guys strip the velvet, or are you going to preserve it?

Going to preserve it. Will get a shoulder mount done for him just like I've done for his two older brothers for their first.