Thread: Parks streams

Default Parks streams

Can someone give a Silver fishing report for Montana and Willow creeks? Live in Fairbanks and thinking about heading down that way this weekend!

Thanks

Stopped at Willow yesterday down at the mouth. Water is really high, above the metal grated walkway. 1 humpy and 1 chum in about 3 hours of fishing.
    hook, line, sinker, done.

Fished montana last night water is way up and murky by the bridge. cleared up a bit by the mouth but fishing was slow and current was fast. Saw 2 silvers on a stringer but thats about it. Hooked up on 2 trout on a peach colored bead (8mm) a buddy landed 4 humps but they are tucking very close to shore. Most fishing last night were throwing vibrax by the mouth but as I mentioned only saw 2 fish on a stringer in 5 hours. Willow and Little Willow are both high at the moment and water color is a bit murky.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Any other reports from Willow/Montana? I am scheduled to take a 3 and 6 year old out tomorrow and I would really like to get into some chums and pinks. It would be even better if they could see them as they catch the fish.

Thanks

Was at Willow until about 10pm last night.
    Very slow fishing. I caught a couple chums, and saw one silver landed.
    Shore is underwater, and getting to silt line required wading out.
    Not a good option for kids that young.
    Montana would have some safer shoreline, but I went there last week a few times, and fishing was again... very slow.

The Big Lake Lions Club is holding a under 16 Humpy Derby at Montana Creek this weekend. We have attended it for the past 6 or 7 years and its been a lot of fun for the kids. Unfortunately our youngest is aging out so this will be our last year.

Thanks for the update. is the water coming out of the willow still fairly clear? Maybe i'll bring the canoe and cross that small channel upstream from the fishing docks and try to fish in the willow. I may also have to look into the humpy derby, that sounds like a great time! The silt line was up to the shore at the mouth of montana a couple weekends ago so i imagine it is still similar.

Thanks for the information everyone!

Go to Sheep Creek. You can fish the Su/Sheep mix line down at the mouth or fish upstream a little and be in clear water. Down at the mouth the water is faster but 25 yards up river there is little current and its way safer for kids compared to Willow or Montana.

Hi All. We are arriving in AK on Tuesday plan is to head North up Parks for our first week up as far as Talkeetna and Clear Creek then back. Are the rivers still running high? Sounds like Its a poor year for silvers are there any showing up yet ? We are happy catching Chums are they still running or is it to late for Chums. Sorry for all the questions just trying to get a plan together sounds like a weird year.

Many Thanks
    Cheers Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by fearnot View Post
    Hi All. We are arriving in AK on Tuesday plan is to head North up Parks for our first week up as far as Talkeetna and Clear Creek then back. Are the rivers still running high? Sounds like Its a poor year for silvers are there any showing up yet ? We are happy catching Chums are they still running or is it to late for Chums. Sorry for all the questions just trying to get a plan together sounds like a weird year.

Many Thanks
    Cheers Graham.
    I'm sorry. You should save your money and try another year.

Was at Willow for a couple hours today.
    Pinks were not "pink" anymore, looks they have spawned and are now zombie fish.
    Chums don't seem as bad yet.
    Saw a silver get snagged and released.
    Plan on a lot of casting to land maybe one inedible fish...... maybe.

Fearnot, if you're not dead set on just salmon fishing, there is some incredible pike, trout, and grayling fishing up that way.

Thanks for the reports guys. Heading for the airport today. I predict good silver fishig when the rivers drop! We are adaptable and are rigged for all types of fishing .Might hit the kenai first and see how things are going to pan out.Any way we will have a blast .

Cheers guys. Graham.

Fished for a couple hours last night at the mouth of willow. Nothing.
    hook, line, sinker, done.

Hi crashdown .It was nice talking to you on the river.
    I spoke to the guys that do the drop off the said it was still poor so we headed south.
    In the last few days I've had 1 silver in ship and lost 1 on the fly at nilnchick yesterday .we caught 1 butt From the shore .we have not seen any jumpers anywhere along the coast
    Hope you are having more luck north .

Cheers Graham.

Never ignore the nearer water .

Quote Originally Posted by fearnot View Post
    Hi crashdown .It was nice talking to you on the river.
    I spoke to the guys that do the drop off the said it was still poor so we headed south.
    In the last few days I've had 1 silver in ship and lost 1 on the fly at nilnchick yesterday .we caught 1 butt From the shore .we have not seen any jumpers anywhere along the coast
    Hope you are having more luck north .

Cheers Graham.

Never ignore the nearer water .
    Graham....Sent you a pm the day we fished, they (chums) literally started biting right when you went up the stairs.

Was at Willow today. Water is high again, but got a few chums to bite in my first hour there.
    No silvers, but that pretty much goes without saying.

Hey there Crashdown Thanks for the post ,that's fishing for you .Fishing remained tough throughout our trip the Silvers just didn't show I had one more from Soldotna on the fly we had some big pinks from the same area .The highlight was a few days of crazy trout fishing on the Russian .
    So back in Scotland again maybe catch you next time in ak.Might try earlier next time as the kings seem to be making a come back.
    Hope the fall fishing is good for you .

Regards Graham.