Thread: System for Exploring Bottom Structure?

Default System for Exploring Bottom Structure?

Does anyone have a specific system for charting interesting bottom structure? By this I mean when you find something interesting, do you just mark it on your GPS, or do you take the time to run a N/S, E/W grid with the boat to get a full sense of what the structure looks like? If so, how do you record it?
    "Miss Mary"
    Kingfisher 2725, twin Yamaha 150's

I've used the Lowrance Insight Genesis software to map the bottom of a couple spots.
    Here's a good overview of the process -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhJWDsxUYMA

It was cool to play with but found it too cumbersome and haven't used it in a while.
    I think they will eventually have all those capabilities built into the unit but it might be a few generations down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in AK View Post
    ...Lowrance Insight Genesis software...was cool to play with but found it too cumbersome and haven't used it in a while.
    I think they will eventually have all those capabilities built into the unit but it might be a few generations down the road.
    I had the same reaction. I'd use heck out of it if it was built into the machine, but haven't been back to the computer once since trying it.

That feature for showing bottom hardness will be most useful to me. Can hardly wait for it to be built-in, but I'm not much for bouncing between the computer and the machine.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

I have Nobeltec BathyScope, from the Admiral series, it shows all the underwater structures, it is an old version but works well, I do not think the bottom has changed much in the last 10 years. You might try and find an old version cheap, it can be installed on your computer and looked at in the boat or at home. You just need a Key to open it.

I drop various waypoint icons (weeds=kelp, rock=structure, mountain=top of the pinnacle) around the structure that all combine to develop into a picture of what I'm looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by healerf18 View Post
    ...do you take the time to run a N/S, E/W grid with the boat to get a full sense of what the structure looks like?
    Back to that point. I never bother running grids on structure. It's too easy to mark with the standard waypoints.

I most certainly DO run grids when mapping the edges of changes in bottom type. Halibut in particular will follow those like a highway, and it pays to know what's going on in the vicinity. Waypoints get awfully cluttery doing that, hence my ambition for Lowrance mapping software right in the machine. For example, ancient glaciers carried lots of gravel off past the land before melting and dropping it. When you can find and track where that edge of gravel meets soft bottom, you're golden. But until you start mapping it, you'll never know how extensive it is, or where it goes.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Thanks yet again everyone. Great tips!
    "Miss Mary"
    Kingfisher 2725, twin Yamaha 150's