Thread: Cassiar

Default Cassiar

Anyone know what shape the Cassiar is in October? Plan on a drive down the first or second week in October. Driving a diesel 4x4 with a TC and pulling a small cargo trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Nunya View Post
    Anyone know what shape the Cassiar is in October? Plan on a drive down the first or second week in October. Driving a diesel 4x4 with a TC and pulling a small cargo trailer.
    Done it several times in Oct, Nov, even in January and never had a problem. Both in a p/u truck, RV, and pulling a small trailer. After all, it is a major hiway.
    What kind of problems are u expecting? Other than the usual weather related, I can't think of anything to be concerned about. ----And yes, it sometimes snows in the high country.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Thanks , I'll throw in a set of chains just in case

Last time I drove the cassiar, it was a dirt road the whole way, has it been paved since? If it hasn't, what would compel you to drive that road instead of the ALCAN?
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Those roads, (cassiar and alcan) are always in a state of repair (or disrepair). I've never seen the ENTIRE Cassiar gravel but on occasion, a good portion of it. Often times the gravel road is better than the paved portion anyways. Just like the Alcan.
    In the 'olden' days, we always did the alcan. But once we tried the cassiar, we were hooked. More scenic, and actually a bit shorter distance than the alcan was, if I recall. After several trips then down the cassiar, we thought it mite be nice to change up and give the alcan another go. Once again, we found it uninspiring and will now stick to the cassiar route for a while.
    By the way, the Cassiar/Yellowknife hiway area offer some of the best Steelhead fishing rivers in the world come Oct/Nov. Worth a look if u like steel.
    ps.... Never had to use chains on any of my trips, so far. But sure should have/ wished I had them on just south of Tok one of those trips one year. Boy, that was close and scary.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Chains and spare fuel a good idea as tourist season is over and some places may close or have shorter hours. You should be fine.