Thread: who's hunting the opener?

Default who's hunting the opener?

Man I haven't been this excited for grouse season in a long time. Got me a new hunting dog and can't wait to try him out. He's only trained to retrieve but still should be interesting and fun! I think I'll hit up everything between here and petersville.

Frankly, I don't often go out on the opener because of such young birds, heat, thick foliage, but if I have a new pup (and I do!) I'll get him out on wild birds early. This year I'm not so concerned about my new pup because he's done so well in training, but I have an old dog in the final stretch of life and I'm going to get him out this week and let him work some birds. Don't know how much longer my Rudy will be with me, but I'm going to give him a few special hunts this year because I owe him that and so much more.

Well we managed 3 roosters. I about gave up for the day. The dog did great. The last bird was a bit of a hail Mary and I didn't see it go down. As we went deeper in the woods I was scanning the trees for it and here comes pup with it in his mouth pretty as you please right to the hand!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Default Good job Matt and Cutter!

image.jpgSounds like you're gonna have a great fall season, Matt. Your pup seems to be satisfying your hopes. Birds should be tasty right now if they are hitting the berries like they have around our place lately. Lots of good family coveys around here too. The birds definitely seem to be rebounding again. My 17 month old pup has been pointing birds (spucies, various shorebird looking type birds, and even a few quail loose in the neighborhood) for the last month now. She's more than ready. Holding 'whoa' while some of these birds are walking within 5 ft of her while others are flying within a ft of her head, on top of it.
    Almost took my 22 pistol with me today as the wife and I went out together w the dog. Her to pick berries while I unsuccessfully fished the river. As we got to the berry patch, Nova went into a point and I walked ahead and flushed a family covey of about ten sprucies. When I returned from the fishing w Nova she again went to point on the trail just short of the berry patch. Young birds filed out of the weeds onto the main trail all around her with the matriarch clucking her concerns for her young from ten ft away. Many easy meals had I brought the pistol.
    I assisted wifey to fill her berry bucket and we just bagged up 2 gallon zip locks of blueberries.
    Matt, if u want to see what your dog will do with pointing hidden pigeons, let me know. I got 3 bird launchers and several pigeons that need some exercise down here.
    Cheers.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Man that would be great! I'm not sure when I can make it down anytime soon though. Scouting for ducks this weekend. Next weekend I go moose hunting. I come home for a couple days then turn and burn for ducks again for a few days. Maybe mid september? We could get in some ducks down there maybe as well! But yeah if he turned into a upland dog as well I'd be extatic

Great photo of an extremely handsome dog...........Love the shape of the head.

Thanks! Yep I like his looks. I remember when I saw the sire and dam I was thinking to myself this dog may not be a good looking dog. But he turned out perfect. He's from American lines but kind of has that English look to him somehow

Cod, the pic of your dog is upside down. I didn't realize what I was looking at till I logged onto the desktop. Awesome looking dog. I know it's a setter. But not sure which kind? English?

I've told (again) the admin on here about my photos not posting properly. Hopefully they will look into it and get it fixed. A couple yrs ago I had to go to tapatalk in order to fix the pic problem. And, in fact, it IS much easier to post pics from the ph thru tapatalk but I have since gotten a new ph and have not yet downloaded the TapApp. (For a while I even went thru the hassle of first editing my ph pics to an upside down pic just so that when they got sent to the forum post they would THEN be upside right!) --- sheesh. So sorry all, but not my doing really.
    My dog is a MUNSTERLANDER! I say that very proudly, too. Getting to be a very popular breed up here lately. Awesome nose, great pointer, great temperament and intelligence. What is known as a 'versital hunting dog'. Both points and retrieves.
    Most are black and white patched with 'tics' of black in the white or vise versa. Like a setter.
    Look them up. Great dogs. And that is coming from a big golden retriever guy.
    I like to tell everyone.... At 6 months her and I did a successful spot and stalk on a blackie. At 7,8,9 months she was retrieving ducks for me. At 12 months we sat together and successfully called in and shot a wolf at 40 yards. This season will be fun!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Jim McCann again.

Good on u Sir! Give Rudy a couple rubs from this dog owner too. I know where you're coming from.

I have been out tromping around looking for moose in 14 and have seen a lot more grouse this year than previous years. Found quite a few coveys around in areas where I spent considerable time in vain last year looking for grouse. Which made up a little for not seeing a single moose out there. Heh.

I've got a new pup myself. Rango is a Catahoola Leopard Hound. He has been doing amazing in his tracking. If any one has wings they would be willing to give up we would be very grateful. It's time to get him trained up on birds. Squash just hasn't been getting the job done lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk