Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A photo compilation of moose with their rack sizes.

Default A photo compilation of moose with their rack sizes.

A while back, I went through all the Hunting Photos threads, and all of the various 'Is he fifty?' threads, basically combed through this entire forum looking for any picture of bull moose with a hard measurement of his antler spread attached. Feel free to use to make yourself as accurate as possible when judging a 50" moose. Also, it's just time to drool over moose. The archery hunters will be out in just a few days. Good luck and happy moose chasing to all.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxQ...ew?usp=sharing

If anyone wants to add more pictures of moose heads or skulls with the measurement for reference, please send them to me and I will update. I wouldn't mind this being a sticky thread, with a zillion moose between 45" and 55" so we can have an extensive visual resource to identify a 50" moose. Thank you.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Very nice! Thank you for taking the time to do this! I think it would be a great "sticky"
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    Very nice! Thank you for taking the time to do this! I think it would be a great "sticky"
    Send me pictures then. Moose heads and mounts, dead moose. Any rack where you have an actual measurement.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    Send me pictures then. Moose heads and mounts, dead moose. Any rack where you have an actual measurement.
    So you want them in a pm or do you have an email

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    So you want them in a pm or do you have an email

However is convenient.
    PM, or email ajgray@alaska.edu

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    However is convenient.
    PM, or email ajgray@alaska.edu
    Tried to email it to you but can't from my phone for whatever reason. Pm messages won't let me send a pic over 3mb. It's in my outbox now so I'll try to send it again from my computer a little later. I have 4 pics headed your way between 54" and 61"

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    Tried to email it to you but can't from my phone for whatever reason. Pm messages won't let me send a pic over 3mb. It's in my outbox now so I'll try to send it again from my computer a little later. I have 4 pics headed your way between 54" and 61"

Sweet diggity.

Pretty dang cool....Thanks! Moose are friggin' great ain't they...???!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Thanks for putting this together! It proves to me that it's either gonna have to be 90" wide or have 4 brow tines before I pull the trigger.

Well, I am no moose expert but it sure seems like moose 5 and 7 are a typo.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    Well, I am no moose expert but it sure seems like moose 5 and 7 are a typo.
    All I can do is report what people listed as the spread on their pictures. Look closer, and don't get fooled by the perspective of the person sitting way back behind the moose. It's amazing how 'not all moose are created equal.' Moose with identical maximum width can look tremendously different.

#5 I agree looks way bigger, but look closer to see where his eyeball is. Part of his head is covered by tundra. #7 look about right to me.

Number 78 is my favorite. Number 91 looks like he was headed out for an evening of dancing at a country western bar and lucked into a bull by the road.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Just a thought ... If this photo collage is to help people judge moose I would take out the ones that are twisted angles or are not in perspective (ex. camera zoomed in and hunter sitting at back of moose). Normal perspective and straight on is going to be most beneficial for folks. It's very difficult to judge spread at an angled view. People have gone over judging tips on this forum but nothing really replaces first person practice. Pictures help, but knowing someone with a few or several 50 inch racks, visiting them and taking mental notes on things to look for is the best thing to do Imo.

Quote Originally Posted by 33outdoorsman View Post
    Just a thought ... If this photo collage is to help people judge moose I would take out the ones that are twisted angles or are not in perspective (ex. camera zoomed in and hunter sitting at back of moose). Normal perspective and straight on is going to be most beneficial for folks. It's very difficult to judge spread at an angled view. People have gone over judging tips on this forum but nothing really replaces first person practice. Pictures help, but knowing someone with a few or several 50 inch racks, visiting them and taking mental notes on things to look for is the best thing to do Imo.
    I figured every photo would help, even though straight on is the obviously the most helpful. Why throw photos out? Photos do help. The problem is there is no good, central database like this, which is why I spent 6 hours doing this last year.

Quote Originally Posted by 33outdoorsman View Post
    It's very difficult to judge spread at an angled view. People have gone over judging tips on this forum but nothing really replaces first person practice.
    First person practice does nothing good for your judging ability unless you pull the trigger and pull the tape on it so you know how your estimate stacked up with reality. Aside from the exercise in self control when you're not certain.

Thanks for taking the time to put this together. Every resource helps for sure. Everytime I walk into a building with a mounted moose I always judge them from a distance. THEN walk up to the plaque and read how big it is.... 30+ years of doing that helps somewhat. They always look bigger on the hoof and gun in hand. Settle down and THINK!

I like that the pics are from all angles. Also they ALWAYS look larger from behind, going away.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

I was going to send you pictures of my father-in-law's moose and my moose from 2 years ago, but they were already on it! Too funny! Nice work! And keep all angles. It all helps.

Brett

Great job putting this together! I have to chuckle when a rifle that is wider than the rack, but they are claiming a 50+ inch bull.

Quote Originally Posted by D.W.T View Post
    Great job putting this together! I have to chuckle when a rifle that is wider than the rack, but they are claiming a 50+ inch bull.
    Yeah, there were a few that seemed questionable, especially right close to 50", but I trust the people on this forum more than just general pictures I might find on the internet. I've added some more that have come in since I initially posted, including my 47" blunder from 2014.

Everybody please send me any pictures with known rack sizes that you have. Also, send me pictures from this coming season. Post here or email to ajgray@alaska.edu Thanks.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast