Thread: Seward Silvers daily & Possession Limits?

Default Seward Silvers daily & Possession Limits?

Here's a dumb question for ya.

Possession Limits are per person correct?

So If I had 4 guys fishing Silvers in Seward outside the bay, which has a 3 per day/3 possession limit, that means I can only have 12 fish on board, regardless how many days Im on the water. In another words, We cant pick up another 3 the next day, If weve met our 12 possession limit.

And if we picked up a few lingcod outside the bay then we cant fish for Silvers inside the Bay, which has a 6 per day/6 possession limit, correct?

Its very confusing?

AH

Posession Limits are per person.

You could only have 12 silvers onboard.

Nope, you can't fish inside the bay if you have lingcod onboard.

I wouldn't say its too confusing, you got it all figured out. Unfortunately that's the way it is. If I had silvers and lings outside the bay I would try to catch some halibut or rockbass if I was looking to take home more fish.

Think about it like this, lings are closed inside the bay so if you had one onboard they wouldn't know where you did or didn't catch it. If you are fishing outside the bay for silvers you might be targeting fish destined for other places. The silvers headed to Seward are the ones they allow you to catch 6 per day. I don't know this for fact but this is how I reason the regulations.

Default Sorry, I missed this post ..

... before I posted on your forecast question.

You are correct. If you pick up a ling cod outside of the bay, then you are prohibitted from fishing for anything while inside the bay.

The same logic applies for silvers: the limit inside the bay is 6 per person, while the limit outside the bay is only 3 per person. If you were to limit your boat inside the bay, then proceed to fish for Ling cod, halibut, rockfish, etc .. outside the bay, you would be in violation.

As far as the possession, I'm not sure how it would work if you went outside the bay; caught your ling cod, silvers and halibut and then spent the night outside the bay. Processed your fish (to the extent you are able while on the water) then came inside the bay and tried to limit for that day. It would seem plausible, but I would imagine some difficulty explaining it to a trooper.

Hope this helps.

-- Gambler

Default I'll stay away from the Lings

Thanks Guys,

We are mainly after Butts and will be fishing outside the Bay. And seeing that I want a shot at as many Silvers as possible, will fish Pony Cove (inside the bay) for the 6 per day/6 possession limit. Hopefully we can take a few rockfish home as well.

Will post the results after the trip.

AH

Default Nice question

nice question I was asking the same question last year it's funny becouse even fish and game that I call had to think about it:]

Quote Originally Posted by Gambler View Post
    As far as the possession, I'm not sure how it would work if you went outside the bay; caught your ling cod, silvers and halibut and then spent the night outside the bay. Processed your fish (to the extent you are able while on the water) then came inside the bay and tried to limit for that day. It would seem plausible, but I would imagine some difficulty explaining it to a trooper.

Hope this helps.

-- Gambler
    Gambler,

preserved fish means fish prepared in such a manner, and in an existing state of preservation, as to be fit for human consumption after a 15-day period, and does not include unfrozen fish temporarily stored in coolers that contain ice, dry ice, or fish that are lightly salted.
    source: http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/statewide/regulations/definitions.cfm

Processing the fish ". . .to the extent you are able on the water . . " would definitely land you a ticket unless they were in a freezer - or dried - or smoked.

I gave serious thought to putting a small freezer on board the boat (5 cf) running on a generator, except that there's no room. But one does fit in the truck - which requires a run back to port.

SH

Default ......... perhaps a little clarification ....

SH,

You are absolutely correct!

When I said "to the extent you are able to" I was referring to cutting them up and putting them on ice (as you would do with any game meat/fish when you are unable to fully process and preserve them). In doing so, that does NOT (I repeat DOES NOT) take them out of your possession limit, as they are not considered "processed" at that point.

When I responded above, in my mind at least, I was being clear enough that they would still count for your possession limit. However, as is frequently the case on the internet, the message was not conveyed.

Thanks for pointing that out to those others who may have misread my intentions.

As I do not normally go out for more than a daily trip, I usually do not have to worry about either of the above situations.

Addtional thought:

In essence, and correct me if I am wrong (no worries there i am sure) since the possession limit is the same as the daily limit in Resurrection Bay the only way to stay out and catch mulitple days worth of fish would be to preserve the catch (as stated by SH). In other areas, where the possession limit is twice what the daily limit is you would be fine by just icing the fish. Right?

-- Gambler
    Last edited by Gambler; 07-06-2007 at 14:46. Reason: additional thought

So what if the fish are not in your posession? Could you stick them in a cooler in your truck then go out in the bay and catch the second days limilt?

You must freeze, smoke, can or eat the fish in order for them to not count as your possesion limit (not just placed on ice 50 miles away in your truck).

This is why I have a 5 cf freezer and generator when I fish (and a freezer on the Penninsula).

SH,

Addtional thought:

In essence, and correct me if I am wrong (no worries there i am sure) since the possession limit is the same as the daily limit in Resurrection Bay the only way to stay out and catch mulitple days worth of fish would be to preserve the catch (as stated by SH). In other areas, where the possession limit is twice what the daily limit is you would be fine by just icing the fish. Right?

-- Gambler
    Gambler you are correct. Possession limit would be whatever is stated for those waters (i.e. 3 daily limit, 3 in possession, or 3 daily limit, 6 in possession).

Cheers,

SH

For those who like to toss them in the freezer whether it be in your truck or in your camper beware. A friend of mine did just that years ago with reds. When asked by the warden to look at their fish they showed them all. For each fish over the in possesion limit that was not frozen "solid" he recieved a citation.

For years people have been going to the local campgrounds for the weekend, catching fish and putting them on ice. I don't think most people understand the regs. or realize they are actually breaking the law if they go over the in possession limit with iced fish.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    For those who like to toss them in the freezer whether it be in your truck or in your camper beware. A friend of mine did just that years ago with reds. When asked by the warden to look at their fish they showed them all. For each fish over the in possesion limit that was not frozen "solid" he recieved a citation.

For years people have been going to the local campgrounds for the weekend, catching fish and putting them on ice. I don't think most people understand the regs. or realize they are actually breaking the law if they go over the in possession limit with iced fish.
    AKBighorn, that's a ticket I'd be happy to show up in court for. And when it was thrown out, I'd be talking with the officer's supervisor about overzealous enforcement - in the freezer for fifteen days and the fish would be in a state that meet's the regs definition (in keeping with the definition - must be fit for consumption after 15 days in that "state" [emphasis added]). Might even have to discuss it with an attorney . . .

That's one of those circumstances where you've run into a badge wearing an ass . . . . of course they are representative of the population they were drawn from as a whole . . .

Iced fish on the other hand, doesn't come close. Everyone should know that's an automatic $100 donation to the cooked legislator's retirement fund . . . (couldn't let that one slide past . . )

SH

He was not happy about the whole ordeal. Unfortunately if I remember correctly he said by the time he drove to Soldotna and took a day off work he was money ahead to just pay the fine.

I was ticketed once for failing to record my fish on my license. If the warden had been doing his job correctly he would have seen that I didn't catch the fish and that I wasn't fishing. An acquaintance showed up at court and my wife had a letter from another lady that was notarized stating what she saw. My citation was dismissed because the Trooper didn't show. The judge said that there was a reason he didn't show, according to him the Trooper knew that I was wrongfully cited but there wasn't anything put in the paper dismissing me from guilt like there was stating that I was fined
    Last edited by AKBighorn; 07-06-2007 at 20:56. Reason: sp

Thumbs up Freezing your fish..

A friend of mine showed me a trick of how to freeze your fish without a freezer. You take a large ice chest about 3/4 full of ice, when you get your fish you mix the ice with rock salt, (wrap your fish) make sure it's mixed real good. Put your fish in and about max 2hrs. later they are froze stiff. I'll try to get the exact measures on everything and do a later post. It works! Good luck!

Default ........ Sh .........

SH

I'm not sure what you are after here .... Letting what slide ??

Either my English has fallen behind the curve or you are trying to push an issue when there was none there to begin with?

My original post was clear (and if you couldn't figure it out after the first read, my second post should make it obvious to even the most ignorant). By icing your fish, you in NO WAY take them out of your possession limit.

The only fault in my original post was it was made under the WRONG assumption that the possession limit was TWICE what the daily limit was.

At least with most of the areas I fish, the possession limits ARE twice what the daily limit is.

Way to go ... time to let another one slide ... SHEESH

-- Gambler

Default Dude . .

SH

I'm not sure what you are after here .... Letting what slide ??

Either my English has fallen behind the curve or you are trying to push an issue when there was none there to begin with?

My original post was clear (and if you couldn't figure it out after the first read, my second post should make it obvious to even the most ignorant). By icing your fish, you in NO WAY take them out of your possession limit.

The only fault in my original post was it was made under the WRONG assumption that the possession limit was TWICE what the daily limit was.

At least with most of the areas I fish, the possession limits ARE twice what the daily limit is.

Way to go ... time to let another one slide ... SHEESH

-- Gambler
    Gambler, stand down bud. I was referring to my joke about the crooked legislator retirement fund . . I couldn't pass up the opportunity to poke them in the eye . .

SH

Default Wow, what happened to this post? Good discussion though.....

Well,

No worries with the possession limits for me this weekend.

Weather was CRAP outside the bay Friday night. I would strongly discourage anyone from anchoring overnight in the Gulf of Alaska in a 22 ft boat when it forcasts 3-4 ft, the swell activity was bad. Had my first experience with being seasick, needless to say it was a long 8 hours before we pulled anchor and got the hell out of there.

Tally for the overnight trip was ZERO Halibut (it was supposed to be this guys "HOT SPOT", though he did pull an 80lb later in the morning). Did tuck into the bay for Silvers and got 9-10 before the bite died off.

I think I'll keep my fishing adventures to PWS, so far the weather has been kinder to me. NOw if I can only find the halibut there, I'll be set.

AH

I have to agree with ya AH, although there seems to be more sealife out from Seward the water seems to be alot more friendly out of Whittier. I've been looking for a good halibut spot in PWS for a couple years and haven't found a honey hole yet. I don't have any intentions of running clear out to Montague or hardly half that far so I may just have to live with the occassional halibut. Besides you don't have to go out of the bay to drop shrimp pots.

There are some good spot close but they tend to get good once the reds show up....
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK