Thread: Moose calling recomendations

Default Moose calling recomendations

Trying to find any quality videos on how to properly call moose? I have ordered videos online to find out they are worthless. Any help in this area would be appreciated. Books as well that may have aided you. Looking for someone to go step by step on the various cow and bull calls one can use.

Gunthros and love thunder and bull 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X2 for love thunder and bull 1/2

I did well with a coffee can and shoestring. (If you define well as two angry bulls charging me). I have no idea what I was saying, but they didn't like it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As already stated, check out the "Love, Thunder and Bull" DVD's by Wayne Kubat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36q8...8A230652C8E30E

This Canadian guide has a few really good videos on YouTube about calling.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Broken record...

Love Thunder and Bull.

Practiced post season years ago (rut was late). VERY effective. Had a cow wanna do unnatural things to me.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Grantspastor View Post
    I did well with a coffee can and shoestring.
    That's funny and it makes me remember using one as well. We had gone all day with me pullin' on that da*n string and got nothin'. It was getting late and we were heading back towards the truck when we came to an overlook above this small lake. I looked at my buddy, threw that da*n can down to the ground, grinned and cupped my hands around my mouth and did my best imitation of a bull grunt. Immediately I had a bull grunt back at me. I grunted again and here he came chargn' in.

I never used a can again and since then have called in more moose that I've lost count....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I did see that option. I will get them. I have heard about the coffee can. I will try that out for fun.

What everyone else has said, love thunder and bull.
    My favorite call was a white bucket lid but it has to be a very certain type to make the correct sound. Using it as a scraper you couldn't tell the difference between a bull raking and me raking. I've also called in bulls using the fiberglass horn but didn't like it as much to scrape with as to me it sounded too pingy. A wooden boat paddle works too and I've had success with that but I can't get the volume out of it I like. Also used an old log and beat the crap out of a tree with it and brought a bull in.
    I've had more luck scraping than anything else but everyone has their preferred method.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    What everyone else has said, love thunder and bull.
    My favorite call was a white bucket lid but it has to be a very certain type to make the correct sound. Using it as a scraper you couldn't tell the difference between a bull raking and me raking. I've also called in bulls using the fiberglass horn but didn't like it as much to scrape with as to me it sounded too pingy. A wooden boat paddle works too and I've had success with that but I can't get the volume out of it I like. Also used an old log and beat the crap out of a tree with it and brought a bull in.
    I've had more luck scraping than anything else but everyone has their preferred method.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    Bull grunts and raking with a moose scapula is my favorite and have always done the best for me.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

most people call too much and then they call to loud. its ok to get agressive once in a while but start out kinna soft to see if anything is nearby first. also calling works best if theres not a dozen other hunters in the same valley doin the same thing. if you do call in a moose you cant or dont want to take try and let him leave on his own if possible. dont keep callin em in closer to see how close you can get to em it will just educate em and make em that much more wary down the road. im no expert but have called in a few and have done a deal of research bout it. and yea love thunder and bull both good videos.

I carry around and use a small 36" wooden canoe oar with a caribou scapula screwed to the smaller handle end. I notch both ends with a small "v" so I can use it for a shooing stick if need be. Works great...
    We had a bull grunt by our tent at daylight one morning, so in my scramble out of the tent, the first thing I grabbed was a small action packer lid and it sounded dang near perfect. Go figure...
    Grunts are usually just hand and mouth...
    Typically, we mainly use just raking and grunts... That's about it...

Quote Originally Posted by akriverrat View Post
    most people call too much and then they call to loud. its ok to get agressive once in a while but start out kinna soft to see if anything is nearby first. ..... and yea love thunder and bull both good videos.
    That was me a few years ago. I finally called less and quieted down a lot. Now I go to a good spot and listen for them to make the first sound.
    One of the best moose hunters I have ever met used a shortened broom handle shoved into the narrow end of a plastic oil can (with the bottom cut off) as a scraper. I watched him call in 3 bulls with that apparatus.

Another vote for Love and Thunder 1&2

Quote Originally Posted by rilasp12 View Post
    One of the best moose hunters I have ever met used a shortened broom handle shoved into the narrow end of a plastic oil can (with the bottom cut off) as a scraper. I watched him call in 3 bulls with that apparatus.
    I use a very similar contraption and it works well. Sounds tons better than that "pingy" sounding Bull magnet and mentioned earlier in this thread.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

i need to pick up a canoe paddle and cut the handle down to where my hand just fits. i been using a small moose antler its like a fork with a brow tine but its pretty solid. thinkin some light thrashing over brush with that paddle should get there attention.

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    I've also called in bulls using the fiberglass horn but didn't like it as much to scrape with as to me it sounded too pingy.
    Mine was too "pingy" as well, it didn't sound good. I stripped some birch bark off a tree and used some liquid nails to adhere it to the inside of the call. I packed some rags in there to hold it in place till the glue dried. That gave it a much better and more "solid" tone...

I second the Action Packer lid is the ultimate brush scraping tool.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

For in close calling, get a pint sized plastic bottle (my preference is Yukon Jack, as the best part is emptying the bottle). Cut the end off it about 1/2 inch from the bottom. You can grunt through it, and it makes great scraping sound on willows/alder and against a spruce tree.

If bulls are far away I get super aggressive with breaking stuff. Take big limbs off a spruce tree and whack them against the trunk of a tree. I have never been disappointed in being aggressive. That being said, the spot we hunt never sees other hunters, so moose are not wary of hunters. If it sounds like a bull to them, it must be a bull as they never hear anything else.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am