Thread: Outhouse question

Default Outhouse question

I've got the hole dug for the outhouse and was wondering if there is anything I need to do with the hole before building the outhouse? I was told to line it with some permeable landscaping material but am open to other suggestions. The hole is about 8-9 feet deep, what is the best way to vent it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depending on soil conditions with a hole that deep you might have problems with the side walls sloughing off and filling in your hole.Mine is not near that deep and I used the green plywood and built a box to go down in the hole to support the side walls. Of course the bottom is all open. On the venting install PVC pipe through a side wall of the Outhouse under the seat area and run it up a little above the roof line ans use a tee for a top. That way it will provide a draft to keep the smell from coming up inside as bad.

Default Outhouse question

I forgot to add, we are also putting a 36" piece of plastic culvert with holes drilled in it. I like the idea of the T on the vent pipe, appreciate the feedback.

Plastic culvert is $1200 so it looks like I may use some plastic 55 gal drums instead. Any other ideas?

55 gallon steel barrels, remove both ends.
    Stack one on the other.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

Leave the plywood off the front and back under the peak of the roof, and suspend the whole outhouse over a oversized hole, it gets rid of the smell 100%. And leave the door or window open all the time. 55 gallon drums for hole support work but just leaving the hole larger and letting it slough in.

As BKmail stated a plastic barrel with both end cutout. If you don't have that use a steel barrel and the same process onthe ends. You then can flush every few years and not worry about thesides caving in.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Like Big Bend alluded to, it depends on soil conditions. Around here the loess subsoil is pretty stable and an unlined hole 6-7 feet deep will hold up for a couple decades. Have never felt compelled to line the pit, but if I did I suppose I'd build a crib out of scrap 1x4 or 1x6. When we lived in the Copper Basin on less stable alluvial gravel we made due with a smaller pit about 3' deep and just moved the house every 5-8 years or so.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I moved the outhouse at the cabin in 2014 after 15? 20? years in the same spot. Turns out the nearest neighbor (circa 4 miles) had a 4WD loader/excavator that he let me borrow:

- Put in a circa 5' diameter by 15' hole;
    - Placed steel road culvert in the dug hole with several (meaning hundreds) holes cut in it anywhere between 1/2" and 1" in diameter;
    - Wrapped the entire culvert with fabric mesh...lets liquids out, but keeps dirt from infiltrating;
    - Used the same PVC pipe venting solution as suggested above;
    - Re-used existing circa 7' x 7' timber based for the "house" with new penetration cut for the PVC vent pipe.
    Back in AK

If this is your 'get away' cabin, a hole 8-9 feet deep should last years and years and years. We had ours maybe 6-7 feet deep, with a steel 55 gal drum shot full of holes and top and bottom removed in bottom of hole. This was at main house when I was a kid. Lasted till I graduated highschool, but of course we ended up with a septic and running water by the time I turned 12. Still used it for some reason pretty often even after getting a inside toilet. Burn paper if you are worried about it filling up, take a bag of lime out with ya. Vent as others have said.
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.