Thread: Unit 26 Caribou hunt how to?

Default Unit 26 Caribou hunt how to?

With the Caribou migration changing due to weather and other conditions? How does one go about researching a drop location for a successful hunt? I do not want to rely solely on the air transporter to drop me in the field, or are they the expert since they are constantly dropping groups off in the unit? Just trying to figure out how one begins to research an entire unit? Any and all comments are greatly appreciated!

Air transporters are a great resource. since they are flying daily and know where the herds are. they build a good reputation on successful hunters.

A reputable Air Transporter is invaluable. The nonreputable ones only have a few places they are willing to land and if the caribou are not there you are stuck. The reputable ones will drop you where the caribou are and check on you mid week to see if you need to be redropped. Also it is Caribou hunting and the caribou go where the caribou want to go

That is what I figured but I have read on numerous different threads to do your homework. I just didn't want to bypass a step in the planning process. That being said, I was considering Seventy North or Arrowhead transporters. Any thoughts on which one is preferable and why?

I have had good luck with Seventy North for hunting on the North side of the Brooks Range, but I also have heard some positive feedback on Arrowhead as well... I stick with Seventy North because I have never had an issue with Mike or Bob... I am sure others will chime in shortly with some feedback from this fall, so good luck I think either will do a good job for you...

I second 70 north they did me very well and are great pilots long service history in AK

I called mike this spring. He said he wasn't doing caribou drop camps this year. Maybe he has changed his mind.

Send me a PM

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Outfitters

I just got back from 25A using Bushwacker air. I have no problems with him. Very safe pilot. We came back late do to fog and weather. But such is Alaska....... Had a blast. I think he flies into unit 26 also

I was looking at the drop caribou hunts. I almost dropped dead when I seen the prices. They are worse then the mafia

They aren't cheap! Supply and demand.

Well I imagine they are gonna take a hit with the new regs. Cheaper to hunt caribou in Canada

Warm Weather has kept the Caribou sluggish on Migration, most of the Western Arctic Caribou Herd have remained North with only a trickle following through to the south.
    Seems they have gone into rut where they are on the Brooks range and the mountains between, and are in no hurry to go south.

Ive seen this before, warm weather untill rut and then they stop and 'do their thang' where ever it is they are.
    In the end, we might have them close around all winter due to this, and our location on this little globe.....
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by polardds View Post
    A reputable Air Transporter is invaluable. The nonreputable ones only have a few places they are willing to land and if the caribou are not there you are stuck. The reputable ones will drop you where the caribou are and check on you mid week to see if you need to be redropped. Also it is Caribou hunting and the caribou go where the caribou want to go
    Polars post is somewhat misleading. Reputable transporters also have favorite and safe places to land and they will likely refuse to land somewhere just because a client wants, or because there are critters there. That being said, a guy who is flying almost daily will know where the animals are and that outfit will hopefully do what they can to get clients as close as possible. However, aviation is first and foremost, these days, about SAFETY.
    Good luck with your hunt.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Always keep in mind the transporter has drop sites where he has safe landing strips. I work with 4 different flight services and I always ask them where they have strips/bars. I never suggest a landing site. That plane is only as safe as the guy on the stick!

Research your transporters and start a conversation with the right one about what you want out of your hunt. Safety first, caribou second.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Outfitters.
    Attached Images Attached Images