Thread: Interior: Rubber Boots vs Leather W/ Gaiters

Default Interior: Rubber Boots vs Leather W/ Gaiters

So I've got everything I think I will need for hunting this season as we wind down, just need to retune my bow a little more and double check the rifle is still sighted in from the move. The one thing that I am conflicted on is if I should get Rubber Boots or if I can get by with leather boots and gaiters (my preferred method). I've jumped out of boats in leather boots and gaiters and not gotten wet but it was a quick jump from there to the shore, maybe 10 feet, in water that was about knee high, waterproof pants obviously, and I was moving fast to get to shore so I didn't get hit by the boat (Hoonah, 2013 Point Adolfus, waves were trying to push the boat onto the rocks by the beach). So my question is, do I really need rubber boots or will I do just fine with leather and gaiters? I'm in the North Pole/Fairbanks area but will be looking to try out the Haul Road for Caribou or possibly towards Adak for the 40 Mile herd as well as local moose. Thanks for all your input.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

My advice would be to get a good pair of well fitting rubber boots. Most likely you will be spending a considerable amount of time in water.

Having spent three years in the Yukon, I also recommend rubber boots. The pair I wore weren't nearly as comfortable as my regular leather boots, but after spending four days of a 6 day hunting trip with soaking wet feet (never stopped raining and I was good for two before my boots were soaked through), I decided to go with rubber boots. Do not regret that decision at all.

Buy yourself a $100+ pair of rubber boots. I like the Lacrosse Burly boots or others similar. Not a $15 pr of Walmart boots that will kill your feet. The Lacross are a very tight ankle fit with an outstanding footbed in them. You can hike for a weeks hunt and not kill your feet or ankles. I have yet to see a set of leather/goretex boots stay dry inside after a week in swamps and rain. Ain't gonna happen.

If the weather turns cold it can be a real pain trying to put on a frozen leather boot, I also recommend the Lacrosse boots.

Awesome, thanks everyone. That is kind of what I was thinking, and what I had originally planned on. But then I was thinking I might be able to get by with my Lowa's and Gaiters. Thanks!
    And I was looking mostly at the Lacrosse Alphaburly's and Burlys. The store here recommended getting those or the Muck Arctic Sports. I'll have to go try them on. Thanks again all.