Thread: Leaky stove pipe

Default Leaky stove pipe

I've got insulated pipe coming thru my roof, then a joint going to my interior pipe. What I have going on is when my fire cools or after I damper it down I get water leaking from the insulated pipe thru the seam and dripping that lovely creosote water onto the wood stove making s lovely smell.
    How can I deal that joint, chimney cement?

Leaking from the silver dripping over the black onto the stove.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

New ceiling kit....if you have condensate outside your pipe, it was installed incorrectly, and you cant do much to permanently fix it....
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

I was thinking the same thing. Don't quote me as I can't remember for sure, but I think there might be a short (black) adapter right at the (silver) metalbestos pipe that goes on the outside. If yours doesn't have it and the black pipe is going inside then that could be your problem. You might go to SBS or somewhere that sells it as they usually have a display that shows all the pieces hooked up. Maybe the metalbestos website?

edit: Actually it's not a short piece like I thought. Does yours look like it has this? https://www.amazon.com/Selkirk-Metal...ds=metalbestos
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. Don't quote me as I can't remember for sure, but I think there might be a short (black) adapter right at the (silver) metalbestos pipe that goes on the outside. If yours doesn't have it and the black pipe is going inside then that could be your problem. You might go to SBS or somewhere that sells it as they usually have a display that shows all the pieces hooked up. Maybe the metalbestos website?

edit: Actually it's not a short piece like I thought. Does yours look like it has this? https://www.amazon.com/Selkirk-Metal...ds=metalbestos
    Actually, from looking at the pic again yours doesn't appear to have that joint. Should be a pretty easy fix....

I'll have to pull it apart and see what it's got. My water comes from inside the pipe up too, if my woods wet and not burning hot, runs down the inside then out onto the black pipe...
    Master guide 212

I have seen some chimney pipes installed backwards for lack of a better term. Think of chimney install similar to that of shingles being laid. The upper pipes should slide "into" the lower pipes. That allows any condensate to run down the inside of the chimney. Im not sure if thats your issue but may be worth taking a look at.

My pipes are all in right. Just where my insulated meets my black pipe there's one little spot that drips. If I burn it hot it don't drip. But wet wood as it cools down it will drip.
    Master guide 212

Photo too dark/not close up enough to see, but others have nailed it. If liquid anything is somehow getting from inside the pipe to outside the pipe, there's something incorrect with the install. Proper install requires no caulk or sealant of any kind, and same won't fix an incorrect install.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    My pipes are all in right. Just where my insulated meets my black pipe there's one little spot that drips. If I burn it hot it don't drip. But wet wood as it cools down it will drip.
    Like I said Jake, if you don't have that one piece adapter that twists and locks into place to make that transition between the silver and black pipe then that's probably the reason it's dripping....

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post

You were remembering correctly, 4mer, it can be a short piece. The link you posted to the long piece is intended to provide a slip joint. If a slip isn't needed/wanted at that point (as would be the case above Jake's elbow), the shorter part is used. With Metalbestos, it's generally called a DSP Chimney Pipe Adapter:

If your pipe is Excel brand, the same piece looks like this, and it's called a Flue Extension:
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

I have the top one. Like a quarter turn locks in it. Maybe it's got a bend or junk pinched in it creating a leak. I'll take it back off and eyeball it, maybe try to tightened it a bit more. I hope it's something that simple.
    Master guide 212

Confirm connections are all male end down inside female end up?
    #Resist

I believe so. I've taken it apart once and that's how i recal it.
    Master guide 212

If pipe is in good shape, all males point down and all females point up, and connection at double wall metalbastos is correct, I would recommend checking to be sure the inner wall of the metalbestos (and/or the flange connector) is not corroded/perforated due to corrosion. Moisture + creosote = acidic corrosion. There's more than one way to arrive there, but frequent burning of damp wood and/or slow fires resulting in low chimney temps can cause condensation driven accelerated corrosion which can eat through chimneys. (This is also a good reason to sweep chimneys in the spring after burning season ends, so a dirty chimney isn't sitting idle and reacting with the high RH's all summer long. (Same as you would treat your muzzle stuffer)).
    #Resist

Good info, I did clean it and on occasion I burn a short hot cardboard fire to keep it burnt out a bit. I'll take it apart before it gets cold out and see what I've got going up there. Just such a pain....lol
    Master guide 212