Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41

Thread: 10mm Bear stop in Homer

  1. #1

    Default 10mm Bear stop in Homer

    Don't know anything more than this story but would be curious about what gun/ammo
    http://homernews.com/homer-news/loca...rk-bear-attack

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    1,052

    Default

    Yes, it would nice to know more details on the firearm and ammo. The up side is the person is OK.

  3. #3

    Default

    I kinda wonder about him walking again, or even keeping his foot. Whole lot of small bones in there, and an expanding 10 at near point blank isn't going to be easy to fix.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

  4. #4
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    8,642

    Default

    Somebody said he lost a few toes.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  5. #5

    Default

    Yup, makes ya wonder if he was carrying a Delta Elite or EAA with it cocked and locked and got the owie while clearing leather.

  6. #6
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    8,642

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Yup, makes ya wonder if he was carrying a Delta Elite or EAA with it cocked and locked and got the owie while clearing leather.
    Well if he did I gotta hand it to him....... Don't know if I'd be able to concentrate enough to be able to hit a charging brownie after blowing off a few of my toes first. Personally, I took it that he tripped while backing up after he shot at the bear, but who knows....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Yukon Canada
    Posts
    1,228

    Default

    Well at least it was just his foot. Had the bear made contact he would almost certainly been hurt much worse. His sidearm did what it was supposed to so thats good to hear.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Personally, I took it that he tripped while backing up after he shot at the bear, but who knows....
    The article sure created that impression. The bear dropped 6' away, and he shot himself when he fell while backing up.

    Years ago a bud shot himself in the foot. Lost a couple a toes at the time, but after years of surgery they finally ended up taking the foot.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    The article sure created that impression. The bear dropped 6' away, and he shot himself when he fell while backing up.

    Years ago a bud shot himself in the foot. Lost a couple a toes at the time, but after years of surgery they finally ended up taking the foot.
    Direct quote from the article
    "While backing away from the sow, Woodman fell and accidentally shot himself in the left foot"

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akraven View Post
    Direct quote from the article
    "While backing away from the sow, Woodman fell and accidentally shot himself in the left foot"
    Yup. AFTER they describe him shooting it 5 times and it dropping 6' away. There's no indication he fell, then shot himself in the foot while shooting the bear. I'm sticking with it until I hear something more conclusive.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

  11. #11
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,265

    Default

    First off. It's good to hear he survived and I hope he heals fully from the gunshot wound.


    "Kim Woodman, 57, shot the bear five times with a 10mm handgun before the bear fell about 6 feet from him."


    "They reported the sow had two gunshot wounds, one below the right eye and one in the chest."


    Evidently it should have read he shot AT the bear five times. It would be interesting to know what load/bullet he shot and what they did to the bear. Whatever it was, it did the job. Good for him.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    488

    Default

    Just wondering if anyone here knows Mr. Woodman and could find out what firearm and ammo he was using.

  13. #13
    Member GD Yankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    PANC
    Posts
    1,062

    Default

    Possibly an even better story, with a 9MM from Phil Shoemaker:

    https://www.americanhunter.org/artic...th-9mm-pistol/

    Old school SW semi-auto with Buffalo Bore hard cast.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GD Yankee View Post
    Possibly an even better story, with a 9MM from Phil Shoemaker:

    https://www.americanhunter.org/artic...th-9mm-pistol/

    Old school SW semi-auto with Buffalo Bore hard cast.
    In the hands of someone cool headed enough and confident enough to accomplish what needed to be done. A lesser man with a 500S&W(like me) might have soiled himself and died with his clients. I'm pretty sure Phil has felt the hair stand up on the back of his neck enough times in regards to bears that he stayed level headed through the ordeal. Yet half the world will judge him for carrying his nine. He and his clients are alive and the bears is dead.....speaks volumes to me!

  15. #15
    Member Armymark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    In the hands of someone cool headed enough and confident enough to accomplish what needed to be done. A lesser man with a 500S&W(like me) might have soiled himself and died with his clients. I'm pretty sure Phil has felt the hair stand up on the back of his neck enough times in regards to bears that he stayed level headed through the ordeal. Yet half the world will judge him for carrying his nine. He and his clients are alive and the bears is dead.....speaks volumes to me!
    I don't know, sounds like a hollyweird commercial to me. The Pro guide makes a decision to use a 9mm to protect clients because Boars are not as dangerous a sows with cubs and, where they are going there are no sows with cubs? Additionally, he knows the bears are there? Magic ammunition saves the day. Speaks volumes to me as well.

  16. #16

    Default

    Perhaps I've spent too much time in the boat this summer, but when I read it I smelled fish, too.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    488

    Default

    I have understand the firearm was a Glock and the ammunition was hollow point.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    1,052

    Default

    From the article and pictures that I saw, the handgun was not a Glock, maybe an S&W and Buffalo Bore ammo. Either way there were lucky! A 9mm is not a caliber that I would be taking anyplace.
    Quote Originally Posted by redale View Post
    I have understand the firearm was a Glock and the ammunition was hollow point.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redale View Post
    I have understand the firearm was a Glock and the ammunition was hollow point.
    Are you referring to the original story with the 10mm in Homer or the second linked story with the 9mm?

  20. #20
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    8,642

    Default

    "because we were going to a small stream I had fished before, which had numerous large male brown bears, I decided to take my Smith & Wesson 3953 DAO 9mm, rather than the S&W 629 .44 Mag. Mountain Gun I have carried for the past 25 years, as the larger boars are usually less of a problem than sows with cubs."

    I "guess" I can understand this line of reasoning...??? Tell that to those that have been mauled by boars. Is "usually less of a problem" a good enough reason to change horses in the middle of a 25 year stream, ESPECIALLY when you have clients with you?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •