Thread: Sheep hunter notice

Default Sheep hunter notice

Sheep hunting in areas managed by the park service, better have your bear resistant food container. Rumor has it they have a helicopter chartered to fly and land in sheep camps to check your food storage. They do have a few for use at park offices.

Would this include the Wrangell Park, AND Preserve?

Quote Originally Posted by fshgde View Post
    Sheep hunting in areas managed by the park service, better have your bear resistant food container. Rumor has it they have a helicopter chartered to fly and land in sheep camps to check your food storage. They do have a few for use at park offices.
    What will they do if they find that you don't have what they consider proper bear resistant food storage......give you a ticket, tell you to leave, give you a spanking...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

And "Exactly" how huge would this storage unit have to be..........to hold (2) Two harvested Dall Sheep, PLUS all the camp food for several people..........???

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    What will they do if they find that you don't have what they consider proper bear resistant food storage......give you a ticket, tell you to leave, give you a spanking...???

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

That's a very good point AGL.

When I have been checked they saw our park approved containers, cached away from camp and never ask to look anywhere else.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

So was the Park Approved Container big enough for two sheep........and food.......???

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    When I have been checked they saw our park approved containers, cached away from camp and never ask to look anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    So was the Park Approved Container big enough for two sheep........and food.......???
    Both sheep were hanging away from camp and they were fine with that. So the hides and meat were hanging in one place and the BRCs in another location and then our sleep tents.

The fact of the matter is these containers are made for a fews days food at best,, works Okay for day hikers or overnighters. Most are not very bear smart.

These rules were not made with hunters needs really addressed and that may be by design,, either way KNOW the rules, and practice good bear smarts.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

So they have leased a helicopter, likely committed to "X" amount of hours, to enforce a rule that makes zero logic for hunting groups. If it is OK to have a few hundred pounds of bloody meat and capes and skulls a safe distance from camp, seems the food would be equally safe, and not require special containers. Yes........I grasp the intent of the regulation. I wonder how much the contract is for the chopper........???

So what are you required to do with your bloody clothing and boots..........??? And Back Pack.........??? I find it hard to grasp that many hunters are going to leave their $765.00 Back Pack a few hundred yards from camp.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Both sheep were hanging away from camp and they were fine with that. So the hides and meat were hanging in one place and the BRCs in another location and then our sleep tents.

The fact of the matter is these containers are made for a fews days food at best,, works Okay for day hikers or overnighters. Most are not very bear smart.

These rules were not made with hunters needs really addressed and that may be by design,, either way KNOW the rules, and practice good bear smarts.

Asinine!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BenC View Post
    But they still don't say what they will do to you if they catch you without approved containers....

Talking

"(2) Throughout the park, all food (except legally taken game) and beverages, food and beverage containers, garbage, harvested fish and equipment used to cook or store food must be stored in a bear resistant container (BRC) or secured—"

"By caching a minimum of 100 feet from camp and suspending at least 10 feet above the ground and 4 feet horizontally from a post, tree trunk or other object on a line or branch that will not support a bear’s weight."

So when the bear climbs the tree, goes out on the limb that will not support its weight, and the limb thusly breaks spilling your food to the ground within reach of the bear, are you still at fault?? I mean, you followed the rules right?
    The more you talk, the more I wish I was deaf.

When I was sheep hunting, all the food I took in was of the dried kind. Does this also include dried foods? What about them flying a helo in to check on camps and scaring any possible legal rams out off the area? Could that be considered 'hunter harassment?
    Talk about a big waste of money and man power!

Does my tent count as a food resistance container

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    When I was sheep hunting, all the food I took in was of the dried kind. Does this also include dried foods?!
    Of course.....bears don't mind if it's dried or not....

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    What about them flying a helo in to check on camps and scaring any possible legal rams out off the area? Could that be considered 'hunter harassment?
    Doesn't matter........don't you know the laws don't pertain to them?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben XCR View Post
    "(2) Throughout the park, all food (except legally taken game) and beverages, food and beverage containers, garbage, harvested fish and equipment used to cook or store food must be stored in a bear resistant container (BRC) or secured—"

"By caching a minimum of 100 feet from camp and suspending at least 10 feet above the ground and 4 feet horizontally from a post, tree trunk or other object on a line or branch that will not support a bear’s weight."

So when the bear climbs the tree, goes out on the limb that will not support its weight, and the limb thusly breaks spilling your food to the ground within reach of the bear, are you still at fault?? I mean, you followed the rules right?
    except legally taken game. So shoot a Sheep the Bear eats the meat but save the peanut butter!!!!!