Thread: gulkana sockey ??

Default gulkana sockey ??

Has anyone floated the lower gulkana for sockeye this time of year? I have a day and a half this weekend & another in a couple weeks that I could give it a shot. Thought with the late run up the copper this year it might be productive. Just curious as if it is all sight fishing & how difficult it is to locate schools of sockeye moving up the river as I still need to fill the freezer.

The river came up quite a bit last week and was probably high and murky. It has been dropping steadily and might be clearing up now. From my experience if its muddy and you don't know where the fish like to concentrate it can be very hard to find them. If it has cleared up you should be able to locate some. I haven't got to fish it since the big flood it had about 4 years ago which really changed the course of the river so I couldn't recommend any specific areas but if its clear you could start at the highway bridge and should be able to find some looking in the typical type of pools and runs that sockeyes use. Maybe someone has been by it recently that could update how it looks.

Thanks, thats a good point about the clarity with all the rain & I didn't even think about. I was thinking of launching at sailors pit & floating to the bridge hoping I would see them. If not I would be up there again on the 20th & if it quits raining it should clear up. However didn't know if that was to late & everything would be turning by then.