Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hiker DLP's Brown Bear, Shoots Self in Foot

Default Hiker DLP's Brown Bear, Shoots Self in Foot

Last edited by kingfisherktn; 08-05-2016 at 15:56. Reason: Edited as per OP
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

I can certainly see how that could happen.

What I find interesting is that he had a prior DLP on Ohlson Mountain back in 92... additionally this time he used a 10mm.
    There are the perennial threads about "what caliber"- he'd done it before and chose a 10mm. It worked.

I'm mildly curious if the semi-auto 10mm (assumed semi auto but likely) had a bearing on the foot shot (easier to keep popping off rounds. Not criticizing the guy, just curious how it played out.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trophy looting??? Lol
    Kinda felt like they made this guy out to be a bad guy.

If assume the first one he was hunting and thus had a rifle. Second time he had a 10mm as a convienent carry.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I had a from a guy in the area there the bear fell on the guy but ran off. Report said he shot it under the eye and in the chest. I gotta say I love the 10mm. Report also said his prior dlp, the close range rifle bullet failed to penetrate. So he got a follow up shot to kill the bear. I'd say he made the right choice! Guy I know never mentioned about shooting foot but did know the guy got out n left the bear, at the time they didn't know if the bear died or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Trophy looting??? Lol
    Yeah, I thought that kinda odd as well......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I am hoping the reason they didnt recover the hide was decomposition, and settled for skull and claws. Seems like the officers would have a duty to recover the state's property (hide) if it were feasible to do so. Glad they didnt cite the guy for failure to salvage!

Article states the bear was 6 feet from where the guy fell. Good enough reason to be backing away, and aiming at a downward angle, making it easier to hit his own foot when he tripped and his foot flew up.

I had my one in a hundred bear last month and luck and the gods were with me. I will never leave camp with just a porky gun again
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Will,

Not to hijack the OP, but care to share any details? Always good to learn more about these experiences others have...

Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post
    Will,

Not to hijack the OP, but care to share any details? Always good to learn more about these experiences others have...
    He gave us a write up about it. If he doesn't get back with you, just click on his name and view his posts from awhile back....

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    I am hoping the reason they didnt recover the hide was decomposition, and settled for skull and claws. Seems like the officers would have a duty to recover the state's property (hide) if it were feasible to do so. Glad they didnt cite the guy for failure to salvage!

Article states the bear was 6 feet from where the guy fell. Good enough reason to be backing away, and aiming at a downward angle, making it easier to hit his own foot when he tripped and his foot flew up.
    Could also be that a summer hide was deemed not worth salvaging, thus taking only the claws and skull.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Default Hiker DLP's Brown Bear, Shoots Self in Foot

The bear was bloated and the hide was fly blown and slipping by the time the ranger and F&G bio got there. She was a small sow, less than 400lb.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

That is how I like to remember my "EX"..............

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    The bear was bloated and the hide was fly blown and slipping by the time the ranger and F&G bio got there. She was a small sow, less than 400lb.

Supporting Member

I hope he recovers quickly.

At the risk of beating a dead horse......
    I do not see the attraction of a 10 mm for bear defense. If you look at factory load data for the 44 mag versus the 10 mm, some manufactures are pushing out 300 grain bullets from the 44 faster than 200 grain bullets out of the 10 mm. So the question of power significantly favors the 44.

Larger capacity in the 10 but I do not think that is a significant advantage given that those rounds are likely less effective than the 44. Besides a stainless wheel gun is a very reliable solution. Very difficult to jam, no safety to mess with, and when carried in a chest holder it can be accessed very quickly. Just draw, aim, fire.

But of course a 4" barreled 44 mag is not for everyone. It is hard to shoot effectively and can be a handful. But with practice many people can be learn to shoot it well.

Just my two cents...

Now if you just want a 10mm because it is cool toy, then I retract all of my statements on the subject and you can tell your spouse that everyone needs at least one......maybe two just in case....

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaENGR1 View Post

Larger capacity in the 10....
    That right there is the key, as well as being pretty stout and much easier to shoot fast and accurately. Still, the fact that it could jam is what has kept me away so far, even though I'd like to have one.

I do not see the attraction of a 10 mm for bear defense. If you look at factory load data for the 44 mag versus the 10 mm, some manufactures are pushing out 300 grain bullets from the 44 faster than 200 grain bullets out of the 10 mm. So the question of power significantly favors the 44.

Larger capacity in the 10 but I do not think that is a significant advantage given that those rounds are likely less effective than the 44. Besides a stainless wheel gun is a very reliable solution. Very difficult to jam, no safety to mess with, and when carried in a chest holder it can be accessed very quickly. Just draw, aim, fire.

But of course a 4" barreled 44 mag is not for everyone. It is hard to shoot effectively and can be a handful. But with practice many people can be learn to shoot it well.

Just my two cents...

Now if you just want a 10mm because it is cool toy, then I retract all of my statements on the subject and you can tell your spouse that everyone needs at least one......maybe two just in case....

I've always favored the saying "largest caliber you can shoot well and shoot quickly". This guys was able to get off 5 shots (only 2 of which hit the bear) and still kill the bear, so I'd say the 10 worked quite well.
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

I could empty a Glock 10mm accurately way faster than I could a .44 despite having 2.5x the ammo on board.

While we could (and have) debated this thing ad infinitum...in this case it worked as he hoped. Shooting yourself in the foot is a bad deal...but a way better deal than getting the stuffing beat out of you by a sow.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

An auto is way more comfy to carry and funner to shoot. I've shot grizz with my 10mm, mt goat and dall sheep too. Nothing wrong with it.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

[QUOTE=mdhunter;1552262]Will,

Not to hijack the OP, but care to share any details? Always good to learn more about these experiences others have...[/QUOTE

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...big-or-go-loud
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Thanks, Dave. Sorta figured that was the story. "Carcass looting" is a new one by me... if I come across a bear carcass in the woods I'd be likely to take the claws and skull, and notify fish and game. Never knew that would classify me as a carcass looter!

Just my two cents...

Yes on paper 44mag looks better than 10mm. But it's a heavier gun, more uncomfortable to wear, though I got use to mine. But I sold the 44 once I got comfortable w the g20 and now carry a g40 as my gen3 had issues at times and was modded into a long slide anyways. I have put finishing shots on bears, moose w mine. I solely hunt w mine too, yes for bears and even brown bears. I know it will do the job. Seeing penetration results in person on big animals has convinced me. The lighter gun, higher capacity, easier to carry glock 10mm is a bonus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast