Thread: Kenai Anchoring

Default Kenai Anchoring

I just went from an open center consol boat to a boat with split windshield and door. When fishing the Kenai alone I had a system to set and pull anchor that took some timing but this new boat with windshield has me a little stumped. Anyone with experience? I Thought about using the ring and buoy retrieval process but that takes a lot of room when there are other boats around.

I have an older sea runner with a windshield that can open in the middle and then a covered area in the bow. I just go through the open area in the middle of the windshield, stand on the top of the covered bow and pull the anchor by hand. Then i quickly set the anchor on the top of the bow, hop in the drivers chair and motor off. I am usually fishing with just my 8 year old so I am anchoring and driving solo.

Because it is just me and my boy, I tend not to anchor in areas that are really crowded anyway. I like to have some space around us for him to fight fish and not get wrapped up around anyone else anchor after we release from our anchor to fight a silver. We may not be in the best spot, but there are lots of spots to try on the river. We found one spot last year with no one around and we hooked silvers every time we fished in that spot.

Thanks, may resort to that. I just installed a large bow roller that HOPEFULLY, I can pull the anchor up from within the cab and get it out of the water long enough to get out into the main stream to pull it on in or reset. Heading down Saturday to test and fish. If you see a guy in a Koffler floundering around with his anchor, please don't laugh!