Thread: Willow Creek- Shirley Town Float

Default Willow Creek- Shirley Town Float

Just wanting to find out about the float, I've floated from the highway to mouth a few times but was interested in floating from Shirley Town Rd bridge (if that is where people put in). Any info/advice would be awesome. Float times, previous experiences, etc.
    Few fish as payment!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4016.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	89982Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4020.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	89983

You can put in at Shirley Town or at the new bridge (Daniki, SP?)......takes about 6 hours or so depending oh how hard you fish. Once you get past the cabin with all the big solar panels, below the new bridge you want to stay to the left if you plan on pulling out at deception........if not you wont be able to pull out till the hwy. Right now pretty much everything should work.

Which new bridge? I see on Google earth the Shirley town road goesright over the river. I think we are putting in there.

You can put in at Sherlietown (where the bridge is washed out) or at the Deneki Road bridge. Above Deneki the river is technical and in some spots potentially class III water with debris, sweepers, strainers, and jams around every corner. Similar conditions occur below Deneki as well, but the water is much swifter above. Watch water levels. I don't like floating it below 500 cfs.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Ryan I do agree with the sentiment of caution in Danner's post however I am pretty sure you have more then enough stick time to safely float the river.

The couple miles above the Shirleytown bridge is the "Red Gate" class II/III whitewater section. Above that is the class III/IV "Guardrail" section. It only gets harder as you go further upstream. You can find videos on YouTube and Vimeo if you'd like to see what those sections look like.

The most common drop off location used to be Shirley Town before it got washed out from a flood a few years ago. Now I believe Deneki is the best put in and either Deception Creek or the Parks Highway Bridge is the best take out. Not a recommended float for a large raft in my opinion. Lots of debris, strainers, sweepers, log jams etc. on that section. The fishing is usually great, but I personally won't take my 14 foot raft down it. If I float it I usually use my small one man cataraft. Watch out for broken glass and rusty nails. A lot of houses washed downstream in that section after the flood and the debris from the flood is found scattered all along the floodplain. In particular around the logjams.

if anyone is planning on a solo raft down with single man rafts and would like a tag along I would be glad to join up. I live less than a mile from willow creek (im on willow station rd). I have never floated the river and have been itching to do it but I am more of a novice on floats.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

A buddy and I are floating it tomorrow morning. We'll probably put in at deneki bridge and float starting at 9. Thanks for all the input everyone, much appreciated!

how was the float today with the increased rainfall? rivers are all up a bit and was curious how your trip went

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Quote Originally Posted by ProHunterAK View Post
    if anyone is planning on a solo raft down with single man rafts and would like a tag along I would be glad to join up. I live less than a mile from willow creek (im on willow station rd). I have never floated the river and have been itching to do it but I am more of a novice on floats.
    ProHunterAK, I would strongly recommend you float the highway down to the mouth on your first trip. This section is much easier and if you are indeed a novice, this would be the appropriate place for your first float. After a trip or two from the highway down and you've become familiar with the river and how your boat handles, then consider floating the upper section with someone that knows what they are doing.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

FishGod thanks for the heads up. I am trying to pan out a float in the coming week(s) prior to moose season. Thanks for the info