Thread: Montague time/gas

Default Montague time/gas

I was wondering how much gas on average does do your boats burn one way/ round trip. Also from Whitter to the south end of the island how long should I expect it to take.
    I have 26 hewes w/twin 115 &a 160 tank
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Hey Gary,

I went a few weeks ago out of Whittier with my boat and burned 61 Gallons of gas. I didn't go all the way to the south side, stopped a few miles short of the charted tide rips. On the way back checked out Main Bay. It took about 3 hours to get there and 3 1/2 back.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Takes about the same amount of time from Seward also.
    Tennessee

Thanks....
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

We have two 345hp cummings 903's. A weekend trip to the south end with generator running all the time and plenty of moving, we will use in the 300 gallons range. We figure about 6 hours, not including dropping and picking up pots.

61 gal round trip not bad. For a minute I thought it was 61 gal each way.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default chim in

I was doing a plot on my garmin maps on my cpu it seemed like it was about 70 to 75 miles to the southend of the island from seward and about 85 t0 90 out of whittier seemed pretty much a matter of open water to passages i've never been there myself but would like to give it a go as my time on the water is getting better and I feel more comfortable maybe this help maybe not just had to chim in :]

Default :]

by the way I like sewar as in less than a year I have gotten a slip I like the fact I can catch some pretty nice butts lingcod yellow eyes rock bass fairly close in and the town is alot more user friendely per miles traveled and my boat is so close in on the B slips I can chuch a rock at the local coffee shop I still wonder how this happend charter boat all around me must be this good clean living hahaha just kidding I'm still stuned

Gary, I've run out to Latouche Passage three times now in the past month and have burned about 75 gallons on average - allow another 5-8 gallons to run out to the Gulf from there and that would be pretty close. Been running about 27-30 mph, trying to keep the fuel flow less than 12 gph. It's typically a three hour trip each way if you don't stop. Last week we stopped for two pods of orcas, and to let the porpoise play near the boat for a while.

61 gal round trip not bad
    Remember, he's running a single too . . .

A lot of fuel for one trip, but the fishin's been pretty good every time, usually one or two 40-60, and the rest in the 20-35 range.

See you on the water,

SH

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    61 gal round trip not bad. For a minute I thought it was 61 gal each way.

Yeah round trip! Should have mentioned that!

Yeah mine is a single, dind't mention that since I figured you already knew. I think 10GPH for me is about 12GPH for you at the same speed. Not 100% sure but I think that is close.

I may run down there Saturday morning if you are going to be out. Give me a shout if you want to run together.

Derrick

Default I'll be out there

Plan on taking the family out on Saturday morning. If the spousal unit is on board we won't be running out to Montague - she won't sit on the boat 3 hours each way . . .

Oh well, we'll drop the pots and maybe run to Main Bay to see if we can snag some reds . . . Give a shout on 16.

SH

Default Expect about 90 Gallons

Iím burning about 13GPH or 2.5MPH doing 30 to 33 MPH and RPM around 3.8 to 4K.
    I have twin Yamaha 150 with 26í Hewes. I burn about 70 to 75 Gallons on round trip from Whittier to Needle which is about 75 miles from Whittier. Expect to burn about 10 to 15 more gallons running 20 more miles out to Montague flat.

M & M

I was running anywhere from 45-57RPM I burned allot gas but it was worth the trip. Had to go fast to make the tunnel .
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK