Thread: PFD reminder

Default PFD reminder

Just a heads up for all of you transporting kids on the water.

Alaska boating laws require any child under 13 years of age to wear a PFD in the vessel AT ALL TIMES , even when not underway ( i.e. on anchor or tied to a dock/buoy.)

USCG requirements specifiy that the PFD must only be worn while underway but Alaska law is apparently stricter.

Don't ask me how I know… it might just save you 110 bucks
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I am curious, we often sleep on our boat out in PWS, wonder if they expect the kids to sleep in PFD's. I would like to see the particular law on this.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I thought it was only when they were out of the cabin on the deck??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

If it's the Alaska DNR requirements you're talking about, "persons under 13 must wear a PFD when in an open boat, on the deck of a boat or when waterskiing." So not in the cabin the way I read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    I thought it was only when they were out of the cabin on the deck??
    This was my understanding as well.

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    ...but Alaska law is apparently stricter.

Don't ask me how I know… it might just save you 110 bucks
    Thanks for helping to reduce our state budget deficit!!

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    I would like to see the particular law on this.
    Why not just look it up?

Chapter 05.25 WATERCRAFT

Article 01. SAFETY REQUIREMENTS

Sec. 05.25.010. Safety requirements.
    (a) A watercraft operated on inland waters must carry and exhibit between sunset and sunrise at least one white light to show all around the horizon.
    (b) A watercraft operated on inland waters must carry at least one life preserver, or lifebelt, or ring buoy, or other device of the sort approved by the United States Coast Guard for each person on board, so placed as to be readily accessible. A watercraft carrying passengers for hire must carry, so placed as to be readily accessible, at least one life preserver of the sort approved by the United States Coast Guard for passenger-carrying watercraft for each person on board.
    (c) A motor-driven watercraft operated for hire must carry a fire extinguisher capable of promptly and effectually extinguishing burning gasoline.
    (d) The operator of a watercraft on the water of the state may not transport a person under 13 years of age on the deck of a watercraft or in an open watercraft unless the person is wearing a United States Coast Guard approved Type I, Type II, or Type III flotation device. In this subsection, "personal flotation device" does not include a life belt or life ring.

http://www.legis.state.ak.us/basis/f...oc/%7Bt518%7D?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Why not just look it up?

Because it was late and I am lazy.

Talked to a friend of mine who works with this subject daily, and it's like others have said, if they are in the cabin they don't have to have it.. Her exact quote "Great question! The answer is children under the age of 13 must wear a U.S. coast Guard Approvrf life jacket when on an open boat or ondeck. So it doesn't matter if you are underway what matters is inside or outside. Does that help?"

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

Inside the cabin includes the soft covers like riverboats have.