Thread: What to do with a goat and brown bear

Default What to do with a goat and brown bear

So here I am....with an embarrassment of riches. I live here in Sitka and this fall I have the opportunity to harvest a goat and a brown bear. I have my fly in goat hunt all set and the whole brown bear thing, if I see the right bear while I am deer hunting or decide to do a dedicated bear trip, I will harvest one. So now comes the all important question, whats next. I plan to turn the goat into burger or sausage, perhaps smoke it. Everyone tells me fall browns here are not worth the table fare. But I hate the idea of taking an animal and not using it. I plan to at least take the straps and loins, and see if I cut them with enough pork product, I can get some decent sticks or patties out of it.

Any who... So my bear is going to be made into a rug, that I know.

My goat on the other hand I am conflicted. I love the look of the skull mounted...and shoulder mounts look pretty sweet. Or I could go with the a head on rug. Anyone have any suggestions or experience that might be helpful? I am also open to outside the box ideas. I have a budget of about 1000 dollars per animal. I can flex as needed, might need to cut back on luxuries prior to the hunt to afford something special. Thank you all, I really love reading this forum as everyone has been super helpful.

Well, at 1k per animal for taxidermy, I wouldn't shoot a very big bear. a good rug will run about 225 a foot sq, so an 8ft bear will set you back around 1600-1800 rugged. I know, Ive got two and the smaller one was 1600, larger was 2k. I think you could do a back skin throw from the goat and a euro mount with both skulls.

Forgot to mention, I have a hook up for the bear rug, flat 800.

If that hookup will give you a deal on a goat rug, I say do it. Rugs are a great way to display a nice hilly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like rugs with the goats as well. You just need the wall space

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    I really like rugs with the goats as well. You just need the wall space

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    Indeed. Half walls work pretty well too...

They are such pretty animals. I'm excited for the opportunity. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Finaddict91 View Post
    I plan to turn the goat into burger or sausage, perhaps smoke it.
    Maybe I'm the odd man out on this, but I certainly wouldn't burger the entire goat. While perhaps not the best grill steaks, I have found goat to be A++ crock pot roast material. Easily beating out moose and caribou for both texture and flavor in my book. I have every intention of shooting more goats specifically for the roasts (although the burger is excellent as well).

My goat on the other hand I am conflicted. I love the look of the skull mounted...and shoulder mounts look pretty sweet. Or I could go with the a head on rug. Anyone have any suggestions or experience that might be helpful? I am also open to outside the box ideas. I have a budget of about 1000 dollars per animal. I can flex as needed, might need to cut back on luxuries prior to the hunt to afford something special. Thank you all, I really love reading this forum as everyone has been super helpful.
    I'm not crazy about goat shoulder mounts. It just cuts off too much of the interesting leg and shoulder hair IMO. What I elected to do this year was a "wall pedestal" mount. I haven't taken delivery yet so I don't have a photo, but basically you cape it long (to the back of the ribs), and it's mounted with a half turn away from the wall. The taxi is using this form. http://rmi-online.com/w-582wp.html

That's one alternative idea anyway. Takes up less wall space than a goat rug, but uses showcases more of the cape than a shoulder mount.

Yk

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowknife View Post
    Maybe I'm the odd man out on this, but I certainly wouldn't burger the entire goat. While perhaps not the best grill steaks, I have found goat to be A++ crock pot roast material. Easily beating out moose and caribou for both texture and flavor in my book. I have every intention of shooting more goats specifically for the roasts (although the burger is excellent as well).

Yk
    You're not alone. I thought goat meat had fantastic flavor. It was a little tough on the grill but nothing a meat hammer couldn't fix. It worked great as stew and crockpot meat. I keep hoping to draw a goat tag but may have to settle for finding a registration hunt or head to kodiak one of these days.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

The other thing with the goats I've eaten is the fat on them is FANTASTIC! Seriously, some of the best, sweetest fat I've ever eaten from any animal.

Well, sounds like you already have them in the bag! ???

Quote Originally Posted by alaska viking View Post
    Well, sounds like you already have them in the bag! ???
    Ha!....I was thinking the same thing when I first saw this thread. If it were me I wouldn't worry about it now. If I ended up that lucky I'd just life size both of them, (if you ask me all goats deserve to be life sized) have them tanned, and then and decide what to do with them later......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Well there is a 50% harvest rate in my unit. And that is assuming that everyone hunted (they didn't). Talking to F&G here it is closer to 75%. Fly in hunts are closer to 90%. So yup pretty confident that I will get a goat. The bear is just a bonus. But I live here and have a ton of time to hunt. So yes, confidence is high.

Well there is a 50% harvest rate in my unit. And that is assuming that everyone hunted (they didn't). Talking to F&G here it is closer to 75%. Fly in hunts are closer to 90%. So yup pretty confident that I will get a goat. The bear is just a bonus. But I live here and have a ton of time to hunt. So yes, confidence is high.
    That's good.........you'll need it.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!