Thread: Tyone lake/river area inquiry

Default Tyone lake/river area inquiry

Hello everybody.
    I was hoping I could get some information about the tyone lake/river area. I've done a lot of research by map and satellite photos. I have a hunt planned for that area late August, for bull moose. I was wondering if anyone has been that way in the last couple years and have seen any good signs of moose? We have a couple bou tags to fill also, but our main objective is a moose. We are taking a couple jetboats over there. One big inboard, medium sized outboard and smaller 50hp jet. So hopefully getting around tyone lake and river isn't too difficult. From past threads on this area, I've read warning of the weeds in the river and lake. My main inquiry was just people's experience with the area, even flying over it. Is it pretty populated? Was there any moose sign or foliage for them to forage upon?

Thanks in advance for your time!

-Jose
    Go Fish

Moose season there doesn't open until Sept 1. In the last 20 years of hunting that area, I've seen 2 legal bull moose. You may get the 50 hp jet on a small skiff a few miles down river, but the big boats won't make it. Tyone River is very shallow, hard to read, has very little current in the first 5 miles, and has huge rocks that don't show just under the surface. Oh, did I say anything about the weeds??

Thanks for your response, Mike.
    We have a couple any bull tags, for a hunt that opens on the 20th. I've read about the rocks and weeds. I like my boat, so probably won't venture too far into the river. We might take some scanoes with minnekotas to maneuver around the mouth a bit. Planned on hiking around from there. 50" isn't a concern, we are going in for meat.
    Go Fish

I went down the Tyone one time in a Airboat going down was not that bad coming back I destroyed the bottom. I spent the winter replacing the bottom. Never went back.

From what I remember the mouth has a lot of black Spruce, moose do not eat Spruce.

I have a friend that hunted that area several years ago. He did get moose .....if you know where to find them and can get in several miles you should do OK. I can't remember how long ago, or how big the bull were. It may have been when there was a any bull season.

If you go let us know what happen.

You're obviously hunting under "community subsistence" hunt permits then, as that is the only moose season in 13A open prior to 1 September. Jose, how do you go about getting a "community" any bull tag when you list living in Anchorage? The lake prior to reaching the mouth has weeds that will strangle a jet pump and turn it into a salad shooter! There used to be a large sign on the right side of the mouth that said you were entering Tyone Country, with a lodge on the left side. MacGuyver is right about lots of black spruce, not good moose forage to be sure. There are actually a surprising number of cabins along mostly the eastern side. I've been up the river far enough to climb to the top of Tyone mountain and never saw moose one moose...cow or otherwise. Those rocks (huge boulders) also mentioned are lurking just beneath the surface With many the size of a large truck, definitely a no wake zone speed wise...or you'll take the bottom clean out of your boat.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaGrizz View Post
    You're obviously hunting under "community subsistence" hunt permits then, as that is the only moose season in 13A open prior to 1 September. Jose, how do you go about getting a "community" any bull tag when you list living in Anchorage? The lake prior to reaching the mouth has weeds that will strangle a jet pump and turn it into a salad shooter! There used to be a large sign on the right side of the mouth that said you were entering Tyone Country, with a lodge on the left side. MacGuyver is right about lots of black spruce, not good moose forage to be sure. There are actually a surprising number of cabins along mostly the eastern side. I've been up the river far enough to climb to the top of Tyone mountain and never saw moose one moose...cow or otherwise. Those rocks (huge boulders) also mentioned are lurking just beneath the surface With many the size of a large truck, definitely a no wake zone speed wise...or you'll take the bottom clean out of your boat.
    Look up the regs on how to form a 'community' while being from pretty much anywhere in Alaska, this way you get to get a few week head-start on harvest ticket holders and the hunt is any bull. Biggest crock of @%@# I've seen yet. I've come across more than a few of these 'subsistence communities' camped out in gravel pits all along unit 13, with their 80K dollar+ RVs, SxS's, and jet boats. Lol, don't know why everyone just doesn't do it, level the playing field.
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Thank you Alaska Grizz and Bigakstuff for the info. I started to send a email of a better spot but had to do a honey do for the wife.

BIGAKSTUFF, I could not agree with you more...that this "Any Bull Loophole" (to quote an ADF&G employee so eloquently put it, in my conversation with him moments ago) smells like something I should be scrapping off the bottom of my boot!!!! This transcends your "Biggest Crock of #%*+" comment...and needs to STOP!!! In talking to ADF&G on this very subject, this huge loophole goes back, and is the direct result of the very headed pissing matches back in the very early 90's...between the state, Ahtna and the Alaska Outdoor Council!!! In talking to someone at ADF&G that deals directly with this very issue, he said the number of "Community" permits has gone from hundreds to THOUSANDS in recent years! The way I see it, Law Abiding Ethical Alaskan Hunters...have 2 choices! Either rise up in ONE Very Unified Voice to get this loophole Slammed Shut...OR "if you can't beat em, join em" (which obviously thousands have done)!! Let's ALL start forming YOUR own Community and get those APPLICATIONS ready NOW!!!

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...cense.cultural

It is complete bull+*#%, I want to say it was 2014 when quota for any bull in 13a was 14. Opening weekend over 40 were shot. Now add thousands of tier 1 bou hunting households restricted to 13. Good luck finding anything over 50 or with 4 brow. I'm sure you won't have any issues finding a bull Jose.

Currious if you guys look at harvest stats? There was about 750 bulls killed (19% sucess) on general licenses in 13 last year and 170 on community tags (27% success). About 1/2 of those community bulls would have been legal on a general license. Im not seeing how this is a major impact, but im no biologist. Also the Community moose hunt is on a quota, and that quota is set by a population objective of "legal" bulls.

This information is pretty easy to find.

Good luck Jose! Wish I could offer some info.

If I see a bull next weekend caribou hunting I'll let you know where he is, maybe he'll stick around for your opener.

Your big boat will get you through Tyone lakes and into the mouth of the river. There are a couple of large rocks that have been buoyed off on your way. The first one is on the Left as you enter the second lake and the second one is on the right going into the last lake as I recall. There are some bad weeds and lily pad sections. Be prepared with a stomp grate and plan to stop a few times and clear your intake. I have a 212 and it eats weeds pretty well. You will know when you are actually in Tyone river. It's just after the last round lake with an island in the middle and an old cabin on it. After you get into the river you will see a large, nice cabin with a flag pole on the left. It's a mile or so down. You won't be able to get much further than this. You will see the large rocks sticking out of the water and the water starts to riffle. It's walking time from there.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2fish87 View Post
    Hello everybody.
    I was hoping I could get some information about the tyone lake/river area. I've done a lot of research by map and satellite photos. I have a hunt planned for that area late August, for bull moose. I was wondering if anyone has been that way in the last couple years and have seen any good signs of moose? We have a couple bou tags to fill also, but our main objective is a moose. We are taking a couple jetboats over there. One big inboard, medium sized outboard and smaller 50hp jet. So hopefully getting around tyone lake and river isn't too difficult. From past threads on this area, I've read warning of the weeds in the river and lake. My main inquiry was just people's experience with the area, even flying over it. Is it pretty populated? Was there any moose sign or foliage for them to forage upon?

Thanks in advance for your time!

-Jose

It is my expeirance the moose In that area are eating the vegetation from the ponds and lakes, there is also a lot of willow mix within the black spruce.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1951 View Post
    It is my expeirance the moose In that area are eating the vegetation from the ponds and lakes, there is also a lot of willow mix within the black spruce.

below is a excellent video of what you would expect to see on Tyone River

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=54OPXp8WinU

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1951 View Post
    below is a excellent video of what you would expect to see on Tyone River

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=54OPXp8WinU
    I hope to never encounter that fellow or anyone like him on a river. How often does he have to stop to pick canoes out of his impeller?
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Not sure about the Canoes, but it does give you some idea of the river, I have been down that river many times most times not past the 20 mile marker.

The Tyone River can be run from Lake Louise to the Big Su if you know what you're doing but there's a spot where you will get stuck a long ways in and have to push if you go that far, it was just past a state-owned cabin if I remember right. There were some big rocks to avoid. Also there's a lot of weeds in those lakes which is kind of a hassle if you've got a jet. I saw plenty of caribou when I went up there but I only saw a couple cows. I was in an 18' or a 20' boat with a V hull and we made it all the way and back with I think a 140 horse jet, it's been a long time since I went.