Thread: short cut to Yetna by scary tree

Default short cut to Yetna by scary tree

Has anyone taken it lately hows the water level
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

The channel has changed. A friend went through there last week and his advice is go around the long way and save time.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    The channel has changed. A friend went through there last week and his advice is go around the long way and save time.
    I also had a friend who went through and got stuck in his seark

Save time and go on down by Seal island and take the wildlife tour and still save time ,plus it will be easier on the back.

Save time and go on down by Seal island and take the wildlife tour and still save time ,plus it will be easier on the back.
    I agree Im going to my father in law cabin on Fish Creek off Kroto if I decide to go see my buddy on Yetna will just take the long way its not that much further anyone are any silver showing up in any amounts

Go up till you hit the bottom of kroto, turn to the yetna slough, right when you get towards the slough aim for the very bottom of it, theres a new bar there thats been catching people this year. The diagonal route across is no good anymore. Also hug the kroto side bank tight right before kroto, we hit last weekend there being to far out towards that stump.

Quote Originally Posted by fishhook57 View Post
    Go up till you hit the bottom of kroto, turn to the yetna slough, right when you get towards the slough aim for the very bottom of it, theres a new bar there thats been catching people this year. The diagonal route across is no good anymore. Also hug the kroto side bank tight right before kroto, we hit last weekend there being to far out towards that stump.
    Thanks right now could go anywhere with the water being so high I was at a cabin on fish creek off kroto this weekend between Friday and when we came out Monday water came up 6 feet

Just an fyi, with all the recent high water there has been almost half a foot of new silt in the shortcut across the old yetna channel. Shortcut slough is still good, but the yetna side of scary tree is really getting filled in. Unless things change, I think it will keep filling in and be pretty much an airboat only deal unless its crazy high water like we have been having on and off this summer.

I made it on the 31st but coming back the water dropped some and I didn't feel comfortable taking it on the 6th so I didn't, I have a flat bottomed jon with a jet so I can make it places that the big boats get stuck in so it is probably a little iffy right now. Another slough I've been taking as a shortcut was iffy when I took it on the 31st and it was dry on the 6th.

When I went up on the 20th, came down around the 25th there was a lot of logs and debris in the water from the flooding. I think there's still a lot more wood in the water than usual, a couple of sloughs I can usually go up were blocked more so by logs than earlier in the summer.

I'm making my first run ever up that way in a week. Since I'm unfamiliar with the river and any shortcuts, what is the benefit of the shortcuts? Does it really save that much river mileage? Is the main channel hard to read or impassable? I'll be in a 21' inboard jet and my buddy in a 20' outboard jet.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildwood_Hunter View Post
    I'm making my first run ever up that way in a week. Since I'm unfamiliar with the river and any shortcuts, what is the benefit of the shortcuts? Does it really save that much river mileage? Is the main channel hard to read or impassable? I'll be in a 21' inboard jet and my buddy in a 20' outboard jet.
    As the weather cools water levels will drop and shortcuts become traps especially to those not very familiar with the area. Good news is the main river channels become easier to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildwood_Hunter View Post
    It saves a little bit, on google earth it's like 7 miles as opposed to 3 miles so it saves you a little time, I didn't really get super analytical with the ruler function.

The first time you get stuck and spend 4 hours getting out and having to still go the long way around you'll wish you'd listened to Dupont Spinner and not me.

Also it isn't necessarily easy to see where it is along the river the first couple times you go because the Big Su has a bunch of channels and none of these creeks or shortcuts or sloughs are always obvious without a GPS, which I do not have. If I was you I would stick to the main channel, which isn't hard to read minus maybe the first 3 miles of the Yentna in which I suspect the channel has changed a little in the last few years but I have no real proof to back that up.

Honestly I have had no problem boating the Yentna on the main channel, I've had no problem boating the Big Su either. I've gone up past where the Yentna forks. I did suck mud/sand on the channel that leads to Donkey Slough past Skwentna because I wasn't paying enough attention to what I was doing last week and we had to spend a bit taking the jet unit apart and getting sand cleared out and I was going slow but if you're going at speed you shouldn't have a whole lot of problems as far as the main channel of the Yentna is concerned right now at 16'. If I was you I would check

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydro...ylka2&wfo=pafc

And keep an eye on what the river looks like at different levels. I know last September there was less water and a lot of sandbars that are underwater right now were exposed. I know because one of the ones I camped on was underwater last time I went by.

Many times if you get by with only taking 4 hours you are lucky.If you want to try the short cut it is best do it with another boat. That section has got many very experienced boat drivers. So you have been warned by several people.

Quote Originally Posted by acg515 View Post
    It saves a little bit, on google earth it's like 7 miles as opposed to 3 miles so it saves you a little time, I didn't really get super analytical with the ruler function.

The first time you get stuck and spend 4 hours getting out and having to still go the long way around you'll wish you'd listened to Dupont Spinner and not me.

Also it isn't necessarily easy to see where it is along the river the first couple times you go because the Big Su has a bunch of channels and none of these creeks or shortcuts or sloughs are always obvious without a GPS, which I do not have. If I was you I would stick to the main channel, which isn't hard to read minus maybe the first 3 miles of the Yentna in which I suspect the channel has changed a little in the last few years but I have no real proof to back that up.

Honestly I have had no problem boating the Yentna on the main channel, I've had no problem boating the Big Su either. I've gone up past where the Yentna forks. I did suck mud/sand on the channel that leads to Donkey Slough past Skwentna because I wasn't paying enough attention to what I was doing last week and we had to spend a bit taking the jet unit apart and getting sand cleared out and I was going slow but if you're going at speed you shouldn't have a whole lot of problems as far as the main channel of the Yentna is concerned right now at 16'. If I was you I would check

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydro...ylka2&wfo=pafc

And keep an eye on what the river looks like at different levels. I know last September there was less water and a lot of sandbars that are underwater right now were exposed. I know because one of the ones I camped on was underwater last time I went by.

Took the shortcut Friday night and must've thought I was in my airboat. Got a little dicey in yentna slough past scary. Had to push a wee bit but managed to get back out to friendlier water. I was running my 18' Jon with a surface drive.

Many times if you get by with only taking 4 hours you are lucky.If you want to try the short cut it is best do it with another boat. That section has got many very experienced boat drivers. So you have been warned by several people.
    Yep that's why I don't usually take it!