Thread: Sand fleas out of Seward

Default Sand fleas out of Seward

Planning on going fishing out of Seward on Sunday and want to soak a couple bear skulls in a shrimp pot for the day to clean them up. I know shrimping has only been opened in the last year or two out of Resurrection bay and don't know anyone who's tried it. Anyone have a tip or hint on where we might try? Really just want the sea creatures to clean up or bear skulls but we wouldn't be sad if we pulled up a bunch of shrimp either. Thanks fellas

I know a few who tried... Went home empty handed.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sounds like a good idea until your pot gets hung up and broke off...or some nefarious scumbag decides to check your pots and figures the skull collection is way cooler than a few shrimp ever could be. One of my shrimp haunts used to have lots of sand fleas and then for a couple seasons there were none at all...so it isn't a for sure deal. Just seems like a huge risk when there is a possibility of no benefit at all and a real shot at total disaster.

I spent 4 days this year and got 4 shrimp. Tried 3 days last year and got skunked. Areas where the topography and surrounding area similar in PWS would have got me gallons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try close to glaciers for sand lice.
    Definitely worth it as they will clean a skull over night. I wouldn't leave my pots unattended though.
    Drop them nearby while on anchor for the night.
    This year I had 2 bear skulls and 2 blacktail skulls I soaked during shrimp opener, too easy.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

We did have lice near the aialik glacial morraine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tips guys. I had no idea the shrimp pot thievery had gotten so bad that you needed to keep them in sight. I have never been on a PWS trip where we put them anywhere near where we were fishing or staying and never had any issues with thieves other than Octopus.

Definitely a fan of soaked skulls for a cleaning though, have done my last couple bears that way. If you've never tried it, it's quick, easy, very effective, and if you're shrimping anyway it's free. Same results as beetles, just underwater beetles in this case.

I've tried many days and locations and only gotten 1 or 2 shrimp a pot. Not worth it, sorry to say. If you want shrimp hit PWS.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Planning on going fishing out of Seward on Sunday and want to soak a couple bear skulls in a shrimp pot for the day to clean them up. I know shrimping has only been opened in the last year or two out of Resurrection bay and don't know anyone who's tried it. Anyone have a tip or hint on where we might try? Really just want the sea creatures to clean up or bear skulls but we wouldn't be sad if we pulled up a bunch of shrimp either. Thanks fellas