Thread: Question about dipnet, Kasilof and Kenai

Default Question about dipnet, Kasilof and Kenai

Hello everyone. I have been reading for quite awhile, but just now starting to post. Here is my situation. Probably leaving Alaska next Spring and that breaks my heart. Inherited a LARGE, square, metal dipnet, the kind that is welded and has an extra long handle that attaches. The net has a couple of holes it in. This is what I will be dipnetting with. No other options at this point. Can I just use this in the river like I would any other dipnet or is my only option to walk with it? If I put on a new net with zip ties will that cause a problem? If not, what size zip ties should I use?

Can my family access the Kasilof by foot? If we have no 4 wheelers are we better off going to the Kenai on the north bank?

Thanks so much for any help you can give!
    Dody

Default Well

I'd fix the holes in the net first. Either get new gillnet or just tie em up. The type of gillnet you just descibed would most likely work in Both the Kenai and Kasilof. ON the Kenai you walk in a kinda samba line, and the fish are big.
    On the Kasilof you just stand there, it's easy, but the fish are not as big.

You can drive on to both rivers and beaches if you have a good 4x4 but kasilof is very soft!! Be careful, and lower your tire pressure. While 4 wheelers are very nice I don't have one and dip both rivers during the year. I'd walk both rivers to where you are thinking of going so you don't get stuck. IF you do not have a 4x4 I'd say fish the one side of the Kenai (north side??) where the boat lauch is and you'll be fine. Same deal on the kasilof.

Default zip ties

Quote Originally Posted by rfkettler View Post
    Hello everyone. I have been reading for quite awhile, but just now starting to post. Here is my situation. Probably leaving Alaska next Spring and that breaks my heart. Inherited a LARGE, square, metal dipnet, the kind that is welded and has an extra long handle that attaches. The net has a couple of holes it in. This is what I will be dipnetting with. No other options at this point. Can I just use this in the river like I would any other dipnet or is my only option to walk with it? If I put on a new net with zip ties will that cause a problem? If not, what size zip ties should I use?

Can my family access the Kasilof by foot? If we have no 4 wheelers are we better off going to the Kenai on the north bank?

Thanks so much for any help you can give!
    Dody
    I got my net caught in the prop on the kasilof last year and had to repair it with zip ties, they were pretty good ones I guess, and it fixed the problem perfectly.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

During one stint of dipping the Kas last year, a square netter next to me was catching 2 fish at a time. I've a 5 foot circle and only ever caught one at a time.

Default Depends...

The Kenai and Kasilof are different. The Kasilof has spots that you can back your rig (4x4) up to the waters edge and fish; the Kenai doesn't have that option. On the other hand, the Kasilof fish are a lot smaller and don't have the rich salmon taste and taste more like silvers to me (my own opinion). I prefer the Kenai because you don't have to do the shuffle (float down with everyone else) and the fish are larger/better tasting. However the North Kenai shore isn't as accessible as the Kasilof and the Kenai is closed from 11pm to 6am whereas the Kasilof is open 24 hours.

Regarding your dipnet; you can repair it and it'll work just fine by using small zip ties or just tying it up using the same material or some twine; whatever your choice is be sure that you DO NOT have any holes becuase they WILL swim through them or tear up your net even more. As a side note, I hope you thanked your buddy that left you the net becuase that is quite a gift!
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Default Thanks for the help

I ended up putting the new net on with heavy duty zipties and THINK I am ready to try this. The only night we have is Saturday the 14th, so I will be there and see what happens. Hope I can handle this huge net by myself. Is it okay if two people, like my son and I, are on the net at the same time, pulling in the fish?
    I DID thank the person I got the net from. It is a great blessing~
    Dody