Thread: Metal Creek sheep hunt

Default Metal Creek sheep hunt

I drew the ds 170 sheep tag for the metal creek area. We're going into grasshopper valley to the upper strip with
    Mike Meekins. I was wondering if anyone had any tips or pointers about hunting this area. Thank you for any advise. Ron

I've hunted it, a lot. Follow what Matt and Mike tell you, or have told you. If you need some other pointers, let me know. I'll be in civilization another couple days.

Thanks Maverick, we're getting to the party a little late, Aug 10th. Trying to decide if going up high would be better than staying low, and if
    there are other hunters below and above us in the drainage, are the sheep going to be moving along the ridgeline? I haven't been sheep hunting
    in many years but over time I've found that a good look out and patience has paid off for me, for moose and caribou anyways.

Ron:

If you want to meet and look at a USGS topo map, PM your phone number to me and we'll meet for coffee at The Valley Hotel, or someplace nearby.

The sheep aren't going to be in the bottom of what Mike and I call, "The Marcus Baker Fork". If he's flying you, he's most likely going to drop you on the second strip (last strip) up from the mouth of that creek, where it dumps into the Glacier Fork of the Knik. It's on the left-hand side of the canyon.

Anyway, you'll want to climb, because the strip is in the bottom and the sheep aren't in the bottom. If Mike is flying you, I'm sure he's already kind of filled you in on what's happening up there. Metal Creek is to the left and Marcus Baker Glacier is to the right. Of course, Gravel Creek is over the top, at the head of the canyon.

If you'd like to meet-up before I go into the field, give me a shout.

Maverick

Well, I used to hit it hard in the late 80s and early 90s. I have been all the way up Grasshopper, gone halfway up and over the pass into Metal and also straight up above the airstrip and into Paradise Valley. Finally took a book sheep in 93 over in Cottonwood. Distribution of animals may have changed and the airstrip may have moved but the terrain should remain unchanged. Tis a long climb up. It remains the area where I have climbed the highest on a sheep hunt (at least 8000 feet). Only hint I have is that you probably will be restricted to the west side of Grasshopper until you travel north some miles; the creek usually flows high and fast this early.
    You may P.M. me if you want to talk.

I can't P.M. yet I'm at rcmck@gci.net if you get a chance. Thanks guys

Look in the archives as I have posted about Metal Creek in the past. Metal Creek - rough country, be on the look out for goats. Surely Mike will talk you into the second strip on the left. Go up that same drainage a mile of so and then turn left and pick your best route over the ridge line into Metal. I have frequently bumped into sheep on the top of the ridge line. Pick a path thru the small pieces of glacier and proceed slowly and carefully looking for bedded sheep - sometimes you will not see them til you are right on top of them. Good luck with your hunt.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"