Thread: Chena unfishable, where else to take brother

Default Chena unfishable, where else to take brother

After ten years I finally convinced my brother to fly from Idaho for some fishing action. He's heard tales of 30+ fish caught on the Chena and that was to be stop number one until I went up scouting today only to find it completely unfishable it's just too high and muddy. He gets in tonight so I need a quick fix to get him in some fish before our Fridsy drive to Valdez. Anyone fished delta Clearwater lately?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dc is always good cuz it's a spring.

All the local drainages are blown out with high dirty water. Just got back from the parks, pinks,, huge pinks and silvers are in the Parks drainages. Might be worth a quick road trip.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Stuart Creek RAWS east of Fairbanks has logged almost 12" of rain over the past 30 days, and I've experienced similar to the west of town. Nothing's going to be fishable in this neighborhood any time soon. I'd take take stid's advice and head south.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by jaeger33 View Post
    After ten years I finally convinced my brother to fly from Idaho for some fishing action. He's heard tales of 30+ fish caught on the Chena and that was to be stop number one until I went up scouting today only to find it completely unfishable it's just too high and muddy. He gets in tonight so I need a quick fix to get him in some fish before our Fridsy drive to Valdez. Anyone fished delta Clearwater lately?

Jaeger33,

There is the really cool guy that fishes in Valdez every summer. He's a good guy, loves to fish and has an amazingly comfortable boat. This guy is relentless, he never gives up. He fish purely for fun and to put groceries on the table. He's a regular fishing machine. Look him up when you get to Valdez he'll be happy to take your brother out fishing. Just tell him I sent you.
    What are ya...a fisherman...or a catcherman?

Ak fisherman last I heard that guy put too much stuff on his boat like radars and suspension seats and he broke his boat

I was out of town for a couple of weeks and just really wanted to go fishing, so I drove up CHSR past Angel Creek. Yes, the river is high and dirty, but the fish have to go somewhere and grayling really don't stop feeding in crap weather - their summer is short enough as it is. I did not have a 30-fish day but I did catch a few. Basically, fish creeks and sloughs, and you can find fish under cut banks and in deep holes. You can't cover a lot of water and you're not going to be doing a lot of hero casting, but if you want to feel the tug and connect with a fish, they're there. Basically you need to place your fly in an eddy so that it gets sucked down rather than being pulled downstream.

It also helps to have a good fly and I have to say that Scott Murdock's red-butt soft hackle beadhead continues to produce under the worst fishing conditions we have. Amazing fly.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time