Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Russian River today

Default Russian River today

Ran down to the Russian for a few hours not many people, even less fish saw about ten near the cottonwood hole. Only one guy fishing, after he landed his limit, sideways and backwards, he offered me the spot. Since I stared at him while he killed his snagged reds and bagged them up. All the while I'm trying to explain to my children how we need to follow the rules and hook our fish in the mouth. Welcome to the Russian.
    Stopped and landed a few pinks just above the bridge at Ingram
    Creek.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

When I see guys bonking snagged fish, I make no bones about confronting them about it. I jumped all over a couple of teenagers last week for it.

Flew out to Iliamna and fished the Newhalen River a couple weeks ago. There was an older guy fishing with his wife and they were keeping the fish they snagged. It pissed my wife off so much...I thought she was going to throw them both in the river! (She's a feisty one) after she took a deep breath she politely said to the lady keeping snagged fish is not legal. Her reply was, "Well, my husband is a bear guid in the area...soooo". (I guess bear guides in Iliamna are allowed to keep snagged fish). This did not go well with wifie-poo.... But I told her to just let it go and we kept to ourselves and watched them snag and keep more fish. The saddest thing is there were tens of thousands of fish coming through the mouth of the river and you could practically walk across them. We had no problem hooking one in the mouth about every 4th or 5th cast.

Bear guide....got a lot to loose getting a ticket for snagging. Man that's frustrating. I wish they would just change the regs and make us keep the first limit we land, no matter how it's hooked. Get people in and out of the river quicker and less damaged fish getting thrown back in.
    Master guide 212

I know of someone *cough cough* that landed a red recently which was foul hooked under the gill plate and into the gills. Naturally the blood was flowing out heavily.

He kept it.

Moral dilemma? Ethical dilemma?

Seems reasonable and should be allowed IMHO
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    I know of someone *cough cough* that landed a red recently which was foul hooked under the gill plate and into the gills. Naturally the blood was flowing out heavily.

He kept it.

Moral dilemma? Ethical dilemma?

Seems reasonable and should be allowed IMHO
    Nope, should have thrown it back, that person is removing much needed nutrients from the watershed

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Bear guide....got a lot to loose getting a ticket for snagging. Man that's frustrating. I wish they would just change the regs and make us keep the first limit we land, no matter how it's hooked. Get people in and out of the river quicker and less damaged fish getting thrown back in.
    You really don't want that, coming from an area where they allowed snagging on the rivers for salmon, it was a disaster. This is nothing compared to what snagging in the rivers opens up.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

I'll take your word for it Abel! Lol
    Bleeding snagged fish...ethical? moral?...nope...legal. Throw it back it won't be wasted. Or take it and give it to a trooper. Ha they'd love that!!
    Master guide 212

I have to wonder, I have switched to using circle and octopus hooks for flossing, but I still get the occasional snagged fish (1/10? less than with a J-hook for sure though). Would a system like BRWNBR suggests where you have to keep the first limit landed, but with hook restrictions like circles be a happy middle? I seem to recall seeing something about salmon that get flesh wounds having a much lower spawning success, but I could be completely making that up.

I've wondered about still having gear restrictions but having to keep the fish snagged. I think people would spend less time on the water, less damaged fish getting tossed back (like the snagged gill bleeders).
    Master guide 212

Interesting that you had zero problem being righteous about judging me just last week. Maybe: "He who lives in glass house should refrain from throwing stones". Least, he be considered "ANNOYING"..............

.........Moral dilemma? Ethical dilemma?

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Interesting that you had zero problem being righteous about judging me just last week. Maybe: "He who lives in glass house should refrain from throwing stones". Least, he be considered "ANNOYING"..............
    ????? I don't think the 2 conversations even compare. Or belong on this thread..
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Just because your in denial about being a criminal poacher, is ANNOYING...........cough...cough.....

????? I don't think the 2 conversations even compare. Or belong on this thread..

I've wondered about still having gear restrictions but having to keep the fish snagged. I think people would spend less time on the water, less damaged fish getting tossed back (like the snagged gill bleeders).
    The potential problem is that the harvest would go up pretty substantially. On good years that might not matter, but on some river systems in certain years it could be a conservation issue. I'd bet the average sockeye angler leaves with 1 fish per person. If snagging were allowed, I'm fairly certain that would increase by quite a bit.

I was on the Kenai last week and saw the most blatant, widespread snagging I've ever seen. I've seen plenty of exaggerated Kenai twitches over the years, but this was snagging like they had a weighted treble on the end of their line. Surprised I didn't see some shoulder and back injuries with the way they were pulling the hook through the water. What surprised me even more is that most didn't seem to care at all when they landed a tail or belly-hooked fish right next to a stranger and bonked it. Man...an undercover trooper could clean up, it seems. Pretty discouraging. Like you said, Jake, it's tough to explain to a kid what the rules are and why following them is important while adults all around are blatantly flouting the law.

Adjust the catch limit accordingly. Make it a two fish limit
    Or something. Just brainstorming....
    Master guide 212

Or up the fine and get a undercover out there making a pile of money for the state!!
    Master guide 212

I've got it! No waders, no lines or hooks (without a disability waiver from the Dr.). You just have to go bear-style: hands and teeth only. Problem solved.

The masses would be outraged by a reduced limit, they already expect increased limits, even when the fishing isn't that good. I would like to see some better enforcement, problem is, the peninsula is such a zoo, LEO are already spread way too thin. I have no problem confronting those keeping snagged fish, I call them out on it, and I've also called it in, citations were issued. I would rather be thought a snitch than a blatant cheater

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    When I see guys bonking snagged fish, I make no bones about confronting them about it. I jumped all over a couple of teenagers last week for it.
    The nerve of 'em. When I was a teenager we at least made sure there was no one else around!

I spent the last 3 weekends in Soldotna/Kenai dipping and fishing for reds. Almost everyone I saw (bank fishing) fishing for reds was jerking either a little or like crazy at the end of the drift. There's no reason to do that at all unless you are either intentionally trying to snag the fish or you just don't know any better. I got checked twice (dipnet permit) by a trooper at Centennial campground and one of those times I asked him what it took for him to be able to give someone a ticket for snagging when they jerk at the end. He said that unless it's blatantly obvious that they're trying to snag fish, he won't give them a ticket just for doing the jerk because it's not black and white what's a snagging attempt and what's not. But if he sees someone doing the jerk and they snag a fish that way then he can ticket them. And I agree with Brian M that if snagging was allowed the limit would have to be lowered because snagging would result in more fish being taken.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast