Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap GPS......only GPS......nothing else, just GPS, is it available....???

Default Cheap GPS......only GPS......nothing else, just GPS, is it available....???

So maybe it does not need to be cheap........But I only need a GPS, not a cell phone or tracker. Just a basic GPS. Suggestions please.....Yep, I have never owned one.

Your basic Garmin or similar unit should be just fine. Definitely helps to have one that can download maps, but it's not necessary if you have maps and good map skills. Have you shopped around at all? Go look at what they have, and you can probably find a bare bones model for a good price. I'd just recommend a good brand (like Garmin), because you want it to be durable and you want it to get good signal, but for the good name brands in the business, the pricier models have more bells, lights, and whistles, but the cheaper models do the GPS thing just as well. -Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Thanks..............do I understand that they don't work in the thick woods........???

Quote Originally Posted by Gr is for Greg View Post
    Your basic Garmin or similar unit should be just fine. Definitely helps to have one that can download maps, but it's not necessary if you have maps and good map skills. Have you shopped around at all? Go look at what they have, and you can probably find a bare bones model for a good price. I'd just recommend a good brand (like Garmin), because you want it to be durable and you want it to get good signal, but for the good name brands in the business, the pricier models have more bells, lights, and whistles, but the cheaper models do the GPS thing just as well. -Gr

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Thanks..............do I understand that they don't work in the thick woods........???
    Most of the new ones now, at least from Garmin, have a high sensitivity receiver so they work pretty well in thick cover. I've never not gotten a signal from satellites. The Garmin etrex 10 is pretty basic and around $100. If you want the ability to add topo maps, which I'd recommend, the garmin etrex 20 would be good.

+1 on what johnny reb said. I just bought the etrex20 to replace my "bells and whistle" Oregon 550. I wanted to get away from the touch screen models. It's compact, has great battery life, and came with preloaded topos. I was able to easily get my haul road corridor maps plugged in. I tested it in pretty heavy canopy down here in Seward and it picked up satellites quickly and held on to them well.
    "One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"
    Jose Ortega y Gasset, Meditations on Hunting.

Thanks.........$100.-- WOW, I thought they would be more expensive. I just need to mark and record a bunch of burial sites. New question: If the information is preserved on paper, and the satellites are destroyed, am I correct in assuming they could be recovered by someone with a map. Or would they need a map and some good photos of the burial sites.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_reb View Post
    Most of the new ones now, at least from Garmin, have a high sensitivity receiver so they work pretty well in thick cover. I've never not gotten a signal from satellites. The Garmin etrex 10 is pretty basic and around $100. If you want the ability to add topo maps, which I'd recommend, the garmin etrex 20 would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Thanks.........$100.-- WOW, I thought they would be more expensive. I just need to mark and record a bunch of burial sites. New question: If the information is preserved on paper, and the satellites are destroyed, am I correct in assuming they could be recovered by someone with a map. Or would they need a map and some good photos of the burial sites.

Hey buddy put the bottle down and walk away.

Just giving you crud

Default Cheap GPS......only GPS......nothing else, just GPS, is it available....???

Agl, I'll humor the question, although unlikely, it is possible that GPS satellites could be compromised.

GPS calculates latitude and longitude (or MGRS, etc) based on radio triangulation. Lat/long and other formats predate GPS by a thousand or so years.

I was taught to find any spot on the earth in a 10 meter square using a map and compass. It can be done. I suggest acquiring a NIMA topo map for your area, a mapping protractor, and a lensatic compass.

GPS is faster, but for the practiced, it's only marginally more accurate.

Get the GPS, use it to log your hides, keep a paper map backup.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

My concern is the skill-set of whoever is attempting to find the sites after I am dead. This is an unknown, so my goal is to make finding the sites a foolproof as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    Agl, I'll humor the question, although unlikely, it is possible that GPS satellites could be compromised.

GPS calculates latitude and longitude (or MGRS, etc) based on radio triangulation. Lat/long and other formats predate GPS by a thousand or so years.

I was taught to find any spot on the earth in a 10 meter square using a map and compass. It can be done. I suggest acquiring a NIMA topo map for your area, a mapping protractor, and a lensatic compass.

GPS is faster, but for the practiced, it's only marginally more accurate.

Get the GPS, use it to log your hides, keep a paper map backup.

If you want it done so someone can find it in 50 years hire a land surveyor and record it.

A waypoint on a GPS is no different than a set of coordinates: latitude and longitude. Waypoints sometimes also include elevation, but that is not really a necessary piece of information, as the elevation at any given set of coordinates will be what it is, unless a landslide, sink hole, or upheaval make it different. If you record precise coordinates - just 2 numbers - for any particular site, a capable orienteer will be able to find it, whether using the stars, paper maps, GPS, or whatever replaces GPS. A minute of latitude is a nautical mile (that's actually how it's defined), so a second of latitude is 1/60th of a nautical mile, roughly 100 ft. So if you record your site to the tenth of a second (e.g. 61 degrees, 29 minutes, 46.8 seconds north latitude, 149 degrees, 10 minutes, 7.4 degrees west longitude) you will be within 10 feet of your target. If you just have decimals of a degree, record to 5 decimal places for a similar degree of accuracy: 61.49633 degrees. For the longitude measure, you'll get even better accuracy for that same decimal measure, since longitudinal lines are spaced about twice as close this far north as they are at the equator.
    My signature is awesome.

Greg, thanks.

Looks like I need to make some consolidation changes over the next few years. This was all set up to work for me, and it works for me; However I never considered that it might need to work for someone else. Thanks everyone for your help.

lol.... I'll give you a gps unit that my daughter gave me and I haven't learned how to use. Just give me a call next time you make it in to anchortown

of of course if you want to give me a waypoint for one of your AR burial sites in return....🙂

GPS accuracy is around 100 meters unless differentially corrected thanks to the military added errors. If you use it while flying there is a 2 sigma error, or about 5% in elevation error. Goto a known reference point. I like using a coast guard station because they have a known marked point for differential correction. Set your GPS unit on that point and leave it for 30 minutes and compare.

one day closer to alaska.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Well........a big thank you to everyone, as this has been an educational thread for me. I can see that the GPS is the wrong road to go down for this application, for several reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    GPS accuracy is around 100 meters unless differentially corrected thanks to the military added errors. If you use it while flying there is a 2 sigma error, or about 5% in elevation error. Goto a known reference point. I like using a coast guard station because they have a known marked point for differential correction. Set your GPS unit on that point and leave it for 30 minutes and compare.

That hasn't been true for 16 years.

Selective Availability was turned of by executive order in 2000.

Real world WAAS enabled receivers (most handhelds today are WAAS capable) have a maximum error standard of 12m with a nominal error of 1.6m (horizontal)

Airliners are landing (down to 200')and taxiing via GPS in zero visibility. You think 100m is good enough?
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

This is correct. Current GPS' will get you within 5'. Can't get that kind of accuracy with a map & compass!!!

Real world WAAS enabled receivers (most handhelds today are WAAS capable) have a maximum error standard of 12m with a nominal error of 1.6m (horizontal)

Airliners are landing (down to 200')and taxiing via GPS in zero visibility. You think 100m is good enough?

Quote Originally Posted by NorcalBob View Post
    This is correct. Current GPS' will get you within 5'. Can't get that kind of accuracy with a map & compass!!!
    Yeah, but the batteries won't go dead on them either if you use them too much......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

5' still means you would have to dig up an area about 11' in diameter to find what your looking for. And 10 or 30 years from now, who knows if a solar flare or EMP has disabled the system. Plus the canopy of the forest could change over 30 years. Or heavy snow laden canopy.....???

Quote Originally Posted by NorcalBob View Post

Sounds like I need a new unit then.

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast