Thread: Any Bull DM 540 West of Big Su West of Yentna

Default Any Bull DM 540 West of Big Su West of Yentna

I have a couple questions and would like to hear your thoughts on the matter. If anyone has any information they would like to share then have at it.

We have always done a majority of our Moose Hunting during bow season in the Fairbanks Management Area. More times than not we (my wife and I) would draw a cow tag and were very successful. While there we would have a Fish and Game Warden pull up and ask that we shoot a calf that happened to be standing alongside the road, Farmers Loop Rd. When asked why he would say the mother had been hit by a vehicle and the calf would not make it through the winter. This bothered me for two reasons, one being the animal would not supply very much meat and the other was I simply didn't think it was cool, just because there is a greater chance than not of it surviving the winter. The Warden understood and respected both views.

This year I noticed there was some info regarding what F&G recommended we shoot. in DM540 "Although this permit is valid for any antlered bull ADF&G urges you to take a bull that would not be legal under the general hunting regulation, that is, a medium-sized bull larger than a Spike/Fork and smaller than 50 inches or 3 brow times. Some of these are mature bulls that may never reach 50 inches. By removing some of these bulls from the population, competition for food with reproductive cows will be reduced and the quality of breeding bulls should increase.

What do you all think about this. Both my wife and I were drawn for the DM 540 so I very interested in your opinion.

We have hunted the Skwentna for a couple years, way up past the hill with the antenna's which I believe separated Shell Lake from Skwentna. Great time but the moose were few and far between. The reason for not seeing very many could be due to our choosing the last week of the season. The ones we saw were hauling butt chasing cows.

I would like to make a run further up the Yentna past the confluence of the Skwentna. If anyone has any and I mean any info about that section of water please share it with me. I have always wanted to get near some hills so hopefully we can do this further up the Yentna. We are running an SJX so we should be able to scoot right along like last year. Last year we had a stick get lodged deep inside the impeller which we couldn't shake loose. We pulled the entire boat out of the water and onto a gravel bar to where the rear of the boat was over a foot off the ground. Since I am a fluffy AKA fat dude that was all kinds of fun but at least we know we can get ourselves out of a jamb if stuck.

So to all those who have any advise or words of wisdom - I'm all ears and I thank you in advance - Jerome

If texting would help here is my cell (907)-355-8873

They use that verbiage on majority of any bull hunts.. That permit is for 16b I probably shoot the first bull I saw and consider yourself lucky

Are you suggesting there are not very many Bulls in 16B? If so I don't understand since for the past two season we have seen an average of 17 which happened to fall outside of what was legal.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    They use that verbiage on majority of any bull hunts.. That permit is for 16b I probably shoot the first bull I saw and consider yourself lucky

Cant comment on the river, but my brother pulled that permit as well. We are flying into a small lake near shovel lake and on foot after that.
    In Nature's Image Taxidermy and Game Calls
    Palmer

Quote Originally Posted by jr/pop View Post
    Are you suggesting there are not very many Bulls in 16B? If so I don't understand since for the past two season we have seen an average of 17 which happened to fall outside of what was legal.

Considering a few short yrs ago the bios were saying the moose population was decimated. So yes I don't think the population has fully recovered and really don't agree with these any bull permits..

i spent a lot of time out on the yentna and I as well do not agree that they should be giving out the any bull tags. There is still not near as moose out there as they think. I usually ride thousands of miles out there in the winter as well and you just don't see all that many moose.

As far as going up the yentna further you really have to go a long ways before you get to any kind of hills or mountains and that time of the year there is almost never enough water to get that far up let along in the middle of the summer. There are a few airboats that get way up there but probably not going to happen in a jet boat unless it rains a bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by marbs View Post
    i spent a lot of time out on the yentna and I as well do not agree that they should be giving out the any bull tags. There is still not near as moose out there as they think. I usually ride thousands of miles out there in the winter as well and you just don't see all that many moose.

As far as going up the yentna further you really have to go a long ways before you get to any kind of hills or mountains and that time of the year there is almost never enough water to get that far up let along in the middle of the summer. There are a few airboats that get way up there but probably not going to happen in a jet boat unless it rains a bunch.
    What He said, Also they have a winter hunt out there and you are shooting moose with no horns ,You wouldn't know what kinda Antler he had. Also if you do get your boat up there, pay attention to how much water drops a night. You could wake up to a boat, high and dry. Or how cold too, jet units and ice do not like each other, Set the motor Cable in start mode in case they freeze. Take look at Donkey Creek or slough35-40 years ago that used to be good spot . I don't know the lines of your tag, you said west, but in that area. Sounds like could be fun, Too much for me anymore.Good Luck and Let us know how it went.

The wife and I drew the tag last year. She got a 42 1/2" on the 24th. Tough hunting, pretty thick.
    If you go down towards the gas/power lines and lower Alexander area, be prepared for crowds: jet boats, airboats, and buzzing super cubs... That's where we were for the first 3 days... Got really sick of the cubs buzzing very low overhead, do a circle or two, then hear their buddys airboats fire up and take off in the same direction as the planes... I ain't sayin', I'm just sayin'.....
    Anyways, I used to have a moose camp and hunted another area not far from there yeeeeeaaarrs ago, so I went where I thought nobody would be, it just happened to have panned out.. We saw a cow at first light, made a scrape noise, bingo, here he come from out of nowhere, 70yds to the right of the cow... Got lucky...
    In 5 days, the Su rose, dropped, rose, and dropped again. Fluctuating anywhere around 6"-2'...
    Good luck...

Quote Originally Posted by jr/pop View Post
    This year I noticed there was some info regarding what F&G recommended we shoot. in DM540 "Although this permit is valid for any antlered bull ADF&G urges you to take a bull that would not be legal under the general hunting regulation, that is, a medium-sized bull larger than a Spike/Fork and smaller than 50 inches or 3 brow times. Some of these are mature bulls that may never reach 50 inches. By removing some of these bulls from the population, competition for food with reproductive cows will be reduced and the quality of breeding bulls should increase.

What do you all think about this. Both my wife and I were drawn for the DM 540 so I very interested in your opinion.
    My opinion from what I've read, heard, and/or discussed with those that are at ADFG or in the know..
    The reasoning for the "encouragement" to shoot bulls in that size range is because:
    1) they're right, they'll typically never get over 50" and keep breeding, creating more "mulligan" bulls.
    2) a lot of those bulls are what we call your typical southcentral-Big Lake-cookie cutter bulls, low to mid 40's w/ 2x2 brows and it's those genetics that they want weeded out.
    The bulls that we shot down there many years ago never had 3 brows, always 2x2, even if over 50". My 54, 56, and 59 were all 2x2 brows...
    Tough to judge sometimes, especially at low light or when they're not cooperating and not giving ya much time to decide..
    Very few bulls that we ever saw, even from other hunters camps, rarely had 3 brows.
    So fast forward 15yrs.
    The wife's bull last year scraped back at us, grunted, stepped out, she shot, he eats dirt.. . Due to the brush, I only saw mediocre horns at 60yds, small palms, no real definition, I knew he was in the 40's and fit the bill per the literature n the permit. That was it.
    When we walked up to him, my mind was blown. 4x3 brows!! NICE ones, palmed with no crab pinchers... I can't explain that one... Go figure... It was a nice surprise...
    Another young gal (with her dad) down river shot a 53" with 2x3, but the 3 was a weak crab pincher... It was their 2nd trip down there that season to try and score. Her dad knows that area fairly well too. It's thick and can be tough hunting. The river is the easy part. Do people shoot moose off the big Su, sure. But not that often and I wouldnt rely on it.
    It was bluebird skies the entire hunt, but the wind can get to whipping pretty good too down there. Button your stuff down really good. It hit us pretty quick (built up within a couple hours from a dead calm) and before you know it, it was blowing 30-35 for 2 straight days and gusting to 50+, easily!! Sand was literally everywhere. One tarp got killed bad!!
    Then one night it just stopped... Again, go figure... I've been down there enough times since the early 90's, I can find places to go to get out of the weather or away from super cubs buzzing all day... But if you don't know it, it can be kinda tough.
    Also, there's more private owned property down there now then there ever has been, on all of the rivers in that area... More signs, cabins, platforms, etc.. Not trying to discourage, you asked for opinions, I gave mine... Best of luck Jerome...