Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Valdez silvers coming???

Question Valdez silvers coming???

Any reports from the sound outside of Valdez?? Are the silvers coming or will they not show up this year? Anyone have a guess?

I don't get it. I've lived here for 30 years and I've been fishing for silvers most of those years. I can only remember 1 time that we had a poor run of silvers and now every year I hear people say "are they going to show up this year" or "are they not going to show this year".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What are ya...a fisherman...or a catcherman?

It could be that 2014 is seared into our collective memory!!! lol That return sucked....immensely.
    Quote Originally Posted by akfisherman View Post
    I don't get it. I've lived here for 30 years and I've been fishing for silvers most of those years. I can only remember 1 time that we had a poor run of silvers and now every year I hear people say "are they going to show up this year" or "are they not going to show this year".

Quote Originally Posted by Raffpappy View Post
    It could be that 2014 is seared into our collective memory!!! lol That return sucked....immensely.
    I caught silvers that year...in Valdez.

I fished for 8 hours around Goose Island and Bliegh Island and all we caught we pinks (still very bright). Fished depths from 40 feet - 110 feet. Our friends had their boat out all day as well and picked one silver up at 65 feet. They caught several pinks too. I headed out to halibut fish later this week I will let folks know if I see them outside of Hitchenbrook.

So did my wife and I.....but nothing like 2012, 2013 and 2015. The number of cars/fisherman said it all. Never more than five during the days we were there the week of Labor Day, and on a couple days we had the ONLY car there. When the silvers are in you'll see several dozen strung out between the hatchery and the point. It was weird, we could catch our one daily silver from the Robe with relative ease but were getting blanked during high tides off the rocks! The wild fish showed but the hatchery fish were nearly non-existent! I only had one high tide period where I miraculously hung three silvers....and to this day I think they were wild fish on their way to the river! lol
    Quote Originally Posted by akfisherman View Post
    I caught silvers that year...in Valdez.

When we were there in 2012 the only silvers we saw were in the small boat harbor. The fish cleaning tables looked abandoned and there was no one fishing at Allison Point. Rented a boat and went out to Jack's Bay without seeing a single jumper. The few fish we saw brought in were maybe 4-5 lbers too. Saw some fish caught at the Robe/Lowe area but that was about it. This was the last week of August when its usually great. 2013 was great when we were there got limits at Allison point and from the boat. I was not there in 2014 but if it was bad I think this is a valid question. Even the estimated hatchery returns show a lot of variability.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Admittedly the last several years haven't been as productive for me personally for silvers in Valdez, but they've showed up most of those years. I've just timed it wrong. If you aren't there when they are, fishing sucks. Last year we did fine from Allison's Point a few days before Labor Day, but they were slow to bite. Since it was a meat run due to lack of time for sufficient dipnetting, we resorted to snagging. You could watch them swim by like crazy about 8 feet off the rocks but they weren't hitting much. Got one randomly off the city dock on herring, but it was dead other than that. Hoping this Labor Day weekend brings some biters...that's much more fun to me.

Spent Wednesday out at Hitchenbrook and fished halibut and salmon. Caught halibut but no silvers. We only saw a few jumpers. Also tried around Goose Island and Rocky Point for a couple hours on the way back to Valdez and only picked up pinks. "IF" the silvers are coming they are really late.

We're starting to pull up a few silvers seining. No big numbers, but we caught a couple hogs near hinchenbrook today

Thanks! That sounds promising.

Fingers crossed that the Coho are just running late for you folks.

SE is pounding and hauling in big silvers.

I just checked with some Icy Straits peeps and it has been "Fish On!" for a month now.

POW is limiting out easily...well besides having to wade through tons of Pinks first.

Last report was the silvers are already good sized early on.

We're planning trip #2 back up in Mid Sept.

I have a question about the silvers in Valdez ? are these silvers stocked fish or are they from the streams around Valdez ?
    I know a large number of silvers in Seward are put in by the State an the town $$$ some come from the streams around Seward.
    not many . any input here on this question ??? SID

Most are hatchery fish. Some are natural, but not the bulk of them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yep the vast majority start at the hatchery here: http://www.valdezfisheries.org/the-hatchery/

Things are not looking good at the moment. A guy next to us in the RV park who has been fishing here for 30 years has been out every day and they've caught a total of 5 for the week. Got 3 on Tuesday and 2 today. They got the 3 out by Knowles Head and the other 2 in the harbor today. They stay out all day, put in a solid 8 hours or more. The charter guys are running all the way to Port Fidalgo and they're not doing great either. Hopefully things will pick up soon...
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

Thanks for the update even though it's bleak!

has any one looked at how many fingerling's were let go that could come back this year like 2 years ago I think
    do fill me in on it if any one knows SID
    I know some years back Seward did not get that many fish to let go ,
    the price went up an they did not want to pay that kind of money

I was out at goose island today and saw several silvers

I think the Solomon gulch has released close to the same target amount each year. The spreadsheet above shows they started with over 2 million eggs in all of the last 15 plus years. It's not updated past the 2014 eggs but it doesn't look like the amount released from the hatchery has been the reason for the variance in returns. But yes I have heard that Seward had some yeas where there was low hatchery releases

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast