Thread: Leather sling.

Default Leather sling.

So, Ive tryed many different man made material slings and am finding I just can't find one I like better than the old leather M1A sling that's on my Ol .06. So I've purchased several new ones and was wondering what you'uns were using for leather conditioner and weather protection.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

https://www.amazon.com/Fiebings-100-.../dp/B009P7694K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

Thank you gentlemen.

I really like Pecard's https://www.pecard.com/product/class...ther-dressing/

For boots I really like Pecard's with about 30% Obenauf's LP mixed in.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I like the leather Latino slings and have always oiled them up with mink oil. Same stuff that I used on baseball gloves from the age of 10 until I hung my last one up at age 42. I even use the stuff on the leather saddle bags on my motorcycle.

I have been using the same sling for squirrel and deer hunting since I was 20. I have a second one broken in and oiled up but am thinking the first one will out last me.

I ended up with the fiebings, found it at a good price local. Honestly I had a tub of kiwi Saddle soap paste that probrably would have been just fine. But, me being an over thinker, and familiar with the vast knowlage here thought I'd get some other suggestions. I have used mink oil on boots for years, good stuff. I guess my delema was, fall hunting is accompanied with copious amounts of rain and I wanted to find out if there was something better out there. Anyway they are getting slathered up and looking good. I even did my old one and it looks good as used.
    BTW EKC, I had to look up "leather Latino slings". Haha. Pretty sure that's not what you were talking about.

I use a product called Leather Rescue. Goes on good and looks great after application. Says it is for fine leathers.
    I am sold on the Montana Leather Sling.

I prefer leather slings too, and I've been "testing" them in the wet for the last 40 years. Still have most of them.

Gotta watch some of the oils for waterproofing because they can make leather softer, and over the years they can really stretch out from miles and miles of shoulder carry.

Over those 40 years the two that have held up best are the ones I treated right off with plain old SnoSeal, the original stuff in cans and not the thinner stuff sold in squeeze tubes these days. Have to hit them again with a light coat every few years, but in the meantime they just don't get very wet in the worst weather, and they don't stretch out.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Quote Originally Posted by 2dawgs View Post
    I ended up with the fiebings, found it at a good price local. Honestly I had a tub of kiwi Saddle soap paste that probrably would have been just fine. But, me being an over thinker, and familiar with the vast knowlage here thought I'd get some other suggestions. I have used mink oil on boots for years, good stuff. I guess my delema was, fall hunting is accompanied with copious amounts of rain and I wanted to find out if there was something better out there. Anyway they are getting slathered up and looking good. I even did my old one and it looks good as used.
    BTW EKC, I had to look up "leather Latino slings". Haha. Pretty sure that's not what you were talking about.
    Latigo!!!! This worthless Verizon Wireless Android phone is going to get a flying lesson one day soon. I never have been much of a proof reader and if I don't with this junk phone it's apt to out think me and change an entire sentence. I ain't going to look up "leather Latino slings" for fear of where it might take me. Ha!

I like leather slings by Montana Leather and simply use saddle soap or sno seal. Only drawback IMHO with some leather conditioners is the smell if hunting something that cares about smells or if close distance matters. I condition them using a hair dryer while applying it (heat seems to help it absorb) and let them hang in the garage with a fan on them to get rid of some of the scent.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Latigo!!!! This worthless Verizon Wireless Android phone is going to get a flying lesson one day soon. I never have been much of a proof reader and if I don't with this junk phone it's apt to out think me and change an entire sentence. I ain't going to look up "leather Latino slings" for fear of where it might take me. Ha!
    Haha, I have the same issues with mine, I should really learn to re read things before hitting send. I laughed when these the site came up. Was thinking EKC likes to get his "freaky deaky" on. Ha hahahah.