Thread: Kenia pinks

Default Kenia pinks

I was wondering when the pink fishing starts to get good. Maybe we can discuss productive places and tackle/technique for them.
    two years ago I tied into some flipping for reds late in the year at soldotna creek park. I can't for the life of me remember what the date was other than that it was the latest I've ever tried for reds

there are quite a few in already. Try any slack water area

They are in but must be early yet. All the fish we hooked were super bright Big Eddy and Pillars (opposite bank from the lainch) were we saw the most of them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Happy Birthday Jerry.

I'd agree that Big Eddy is a great spot. Last pink year we stopped targeting silvers for a bit and anchored the boat in big Eddy for the kids (and adults) to have some fun. We worked through our gear to find what they wouldn't take. Turns out not much...

Spinners, spoons, jigs, plugs, they hit it all... A twitched hoochie jig is generally our top producer for pinks in frog water. Works pretty well for coho too 😉.

Quote Originally Posted by fivebucks View Post
    Happy Birthday Jerry.
    Thanks man,it's been a long strange trip.

Seriously though... Thanks for the replies. Is there bank fishing access to the big eddy.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryGarcia View Post
    Seriously though... Thanks for the replies. Is there bank fishing access to the big eddy.
    Don't worry, in a little while you'll be able to catch them most anywhere.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Tidewater pinks are present in numbers good enough to make your arm fall off. Yday flossers were reporting them 10:1 over sox. A couple of my crew said it was 6:1 on their favorite bar last night. Kids fishin for biters caught over 30 yday.

Be forewarned as they are GINORMOUS this year.... the BIGGEST I've seen in 42 years. Most of the males are 9-10 pounds with THICK shoulders and the hens are right behind them at 8-9 pounds. I'm talking REAL pounds! These are no longer your everyday kiddo fish... it takes adult strength with real salmon gear to land them from a stationary position (bank or anchored boat) esp in this high water year. Even the guide fleet fishing kings last week experienced this while backtrolling or hovering. I watched over a dozen guide boats succumb to the "drift of shame" as they dropped out of the pack at the Crossover to deal with their pinks.

SERIALLY?

Yeah, seriously..... clients simply could NOT reel these MEGA-pinks back to the boat without freedrifting to cancel out the power of the current. I'm convinced at least some of those boats genuinely thought they had hooked a bonafide king, only to be disappointed that they lost their place in the pack for just another stinky pinky. 😯

Saw locals struggling with the same thing on the final day of the king season.

Have fun with your kids, but consider bringing an anchor buoy with quick release setup or else your younglins will be begging to call your trip short out of sheer exhaustion after just a few fish.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Can't wait for a day off now. Flipping for biters was the hottest action I've seen in years