Thread: Power is in, now what?

Default Power is in, now what?

Last April I put in a pole and now I have power to the site. Putting in the pole and meeting the GVE requirements was tough to say the least. We also put in some of the foundation and will wait a year to see how it looks or if I need to redesign.
    Logs are still stacked and drying and next year we will get all of that nasty bark off utilizing our newly acquired electricity.
    This is my question and I don't feel like I have a reasonable answer yet.
    As a US citizen, I must be a resident of a state. I travel on business all year. This year I will spend 9 months on the island of French Martinique. (don't hate me).
    I would love to hunt and fish as a resident of Alaska. I don't want to cut corners or get into any grey/gray areas, I want to be legal. I am not looking for PFD so lets not get sidetracked there if at all possible.
    I don't spend enough time in ANY state to meet the 'reside for 12 months, blah, blah, blah' requirements. What do I do?
    I would like to finish the cabin, buy a vehicle and live in the cabin Alaska when I am in the United States. I have power bills from AK and intend to always return. I will not have a residence in any other state.
    So, where would my 'legal residence' be? I want it to be AK so I assume it would be, but I want to be legal.
    Do you folks have any insight?

Quote Originally Posted by the nikster View Post
    I have power bills from AK and intend to always return. I will not have a residence in any other state.
    So, where would my 'legal residence' be? I want it to be AK so I assume it would be, but I want to be legal.
    Do you folks have any insight?
    You can easily have power bills in multiple states. That alone doesn't really mean anything. The key is in the rest of your statement.

If Alaska is where your abode is, and where you keep your belongings and is where you vote, and you don't keep an abode in any other state, you view Alaska as your home and it's the place you always return to from your business travels, then Alaska is your legal place of residence (PFD requirements notwithstanding).

If you do keep an abode and stuff in another state(s) and split your time, it'll be more difficult to legally defend your claim that Alaska is your home.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

If you dont have an AK drivers license, get one pronto...and wait 12 months to get a resident hunt/fish license, or you will get a trooper knocking on your door....
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

I need to get the cabin livable. Then move in. Then get a drivers license and forsake the lower 48. Wait at least a year, get a fishing license, go fishing.
    i know you guys are not dispensing legal advice here, I appreciate the input. Time is not a big hurdle at this point but each year it gets bigger. I would like to establish myself legally in the next few years so I can fully enjoy all Alaska has to offer. Presently, I will continue to commute and pay full price as it should be.

The final step is to not go into politics.

Here's a link that talks about establishing Alaska residency...

http://www.touchngo.com/lglcntr/akst...section143.htm

I think you've got it right. You need to take steps to establish residency (drivers license, vote, build/buy a home…), not claim residency anywhere else and physically be in the state. It doesn't say how many days a year you need to be in the state, but some physical presence is required.
    English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.