Thread: Shooting fun !

Smile Shooting fun !

Me, my wife and 10 and 12 year old grandsons put some rounds through the old brown IPSC targets for a couple of days at the local range.

After a Range Safety discussion we made some noise. Almost all the shots were fired at under 20' with emphasis on the front sight and the trigger press.

We shot a Ruger 22/45, a 70's 4" S&W Mod. 34 .22 J Frame, a 2" S&W Mod. 640 J Frame .38 Special from their Performance Center that I gave to my wife years ago, a.380 Glock 42, a Glock 43 and Glock 19 in 9mm, and my wife's German Luger made in 1936. Her German grandfather brought it here when he moved to America after WWII.

My wife is fighting a wrist problem and she quickly abandoned the snub .38 as all I had were 158 grain +P loads and went for the Glock 42 with the 90 grain loads. Her and the boys like the Glock 43 also, but the 12 year old prefers the Glock 19. Every one liked the Ruger 22/45 and shot their best with it, no surprise there. We also liked the old Luger and the 80 year old contraption went bang every time we pulled the trigger.

The 158 grain loads were the hardest for them to hit with and I am sure the 2" barrel and sights played a role in that. The little Mod. 640 revolver has about as good a trigger as any J Frame I have shot. I have a soft spot for snub nose .38 Specials that do not have an external hammer.

We had a ball! God Bless America!

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Me, my wife and 10 and 12 year old grandsons put some rounds through the old brown IPSC targets for a couple of days at the local range.

After a Range Safety discussion we made some noise. Almost all the shots were fired at under 20' with emphasis on the front sight and the trigger press.

We shot a Ruger 22/45, a 70's 4" S&W Mod. 34 .22 J Frame, a 2" S&W Mod. 640 J Frame .38 Special from their Performance Center that I gave to my wife years ago, a.380 Glock 42, a Glock 43 and Glock 19 in 9mm, and my wife's German Luger made in 1936. Her German grandfather brought it here when he moved to America after WWII.

My wife is fighting a wrist problem and she quickly abandoned the snub .38 as all I had were 158 grain +P loads and went for the Glock 42 with the 90 grain loads. Her and the boys like the Glock 43 also, but the 12 year old prefers the Glock 19. Every one liked the Ruger 22/45 and shot their best with it, no surprise there. We also liked the old Luger and the 80 year old contraption went bang every time we pulled the trigger.

The 158 grain loads were the hardest for them to hit with and I am sure the 2" barrel and sights played a role in that. The little Mod. 640 revolver has about as good a trigger as any J Frame I have shot. I have a soft spot for snub nose .38 Specials that do not have an external hammer.

We had a ball! God Bless America!
    You do realize that you are creating another generation of folk who will one day have guns in their homes????? Bless you for doing so...you are a good gramps!

Always fun times shooting with the family.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I remember when both my son and daughter were barely old enough to heft the little Crosman bb-gun to their shoulder, but they sure were excited to hear that little bb hit that old frying pan when they squeezed the trigger!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I remember when both my son and daughter were barely old enough to heft the little Crosman bb-gun to their shoulder, but they sure were excited to hear that little bb hit that old frying pan when they squeezed the trigger!
    Right now my back yard does not have a square foot that does not contain at least a dozen 6mm air soft BBs lying there in. I have an air soft pistol for every grand kid that wants to shoot one. In the course of a week they scattered 6,000 of them about the property. Lots of murdered crickets about too. One little tike got his soft air gun put up for the week for ignoring PaPa's rules......grandma's toy poodle has a reason for hiding under the bed when the ornery one of the bunch comes for a visit. He loves to watch rodeos on TV and he actually lassoed mom's pooch with a jump rope. He had one of my rabbit calls out and found out that mom's little dog comes on the run when he blows that call. So the natural thing to do was plug him with the air soft gun. So no more air soft or dying rabbit calls for that one.

Been there done that with several grandkids in tow. We used to go through up to 1500 rounds in a single afternoon. Now, most of these kids are in their twenties and still shooting safely all by themselves, thank GOD, what with the increase in the cost of .22LRs today.
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."