Thread: Advice please (no booing!)

Default Advice please (no booing!)

So here's my dilemma.
    We have a tier 1 tag. I feel it's a great opportunity for my wife to take her first big game animal.
    We also have a 18 month old kid. We can't really leave the kid with grandma because her health. She's just too arthritic to watch him 24 hrs a day.
    So my thought was we bring them all.
    I'm looking for any lodge suggestions you guys may have.
    We are on a budget and the Maclaren River is just too far to travel with the little man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd suggest Alpine Creek Lodge, but if Maclaren River is too far to travel, Alpine Creek isn't really any different.

Have you considered tenting it? Our kids were in tents at 6 weeks old and every summer and fall since then. They're pretty resilient little creatures, and it sure is less expensive.

Frankly, hunting from lodges and the road system seems like it would be way less productive off the Glenn Highway than the few located along the Denali. Some good hunting can be had from ATV trails off the Glenn, but if you're looking for close-to-the-road access and lodging, driving out to Alpine Creek, MacLaren, or the Gracious House would seem to me to be the best options. Well...best next to a tent, that is.

Are you planning to hunt on foot off the road? ATV?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I'd suggest Alpine Creek Lodge, but if Maclaren River is too far to travel, Alpine Creek isn't really any different.

Have you considered tenting it? Our kids were in tents at 6 weeks old and every summer and fall since then. They're pretty resilient little creatures, and it sure is less expensive.

Frankly, hunting from lodges and the road system seems like it would be way less productive off the Glenn Highway than the few located along the Denali. Some good hunting can be had from ATV trails off the Glenn, but if you're looking for close-to-the-road access and lodging, driving out to Alpine Creek, MacLaren, or the Gracious House would seem to me to be the best options. Well...best next to a tent, that is.

Are you planning to hunt on foot off the road? ATV?
    The lodge idea is more for grandma then anything.
    Her arthritis in her back is terrible.
    We only have one quad, but it's a 600. I was planning on taking it with.

Slide Mountain Cabins is an option. All the trails connect out that way, you could hunt Monument easily enough.

http://www.slidemountaincabins.net

Quote Originally Posted by SLDMTN View Post
    Slide Mountain Cabins is an option. All the trails connect out that way, you could hunt Monument easily enough.

http://www.slidemountaincabins.net
    Thank you!

Why is grandma going? Just to help with the kid?
    I had a backpack that carries the kid in it, worked great. Just be behind the rifle a ways when momma shoots that caribou!
    My families last three caribou have been in the ditch along the Denali hwy. all one day, "hey let's take a drive" trips.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Why is grandma going? Just to help with the kid?
    I had a backpack that carries the kid in it, worked great. Just be behind the rifle a ways when momma shoots that caribou!
    My families last three caribou have been in the ditch along the Denali hwy. all one day, "hey let's take a drive" trips.
    That's the direction I want to go and also the one I'm pushing for.
    Grandma has never gotten to se that part of the state. We are trying to include her.

Quote Originally Posted by fishcatcher541 View Post
    That's the direction I want to go and also the one I'm pushing for.
    Grandma has never gotten to se that part of the state. We are trying to include her.

If at all possible, and for grandmas sake, you really should try and make the whole trip across on the Denali. Don't know if you've ever done it before but if you haven't you'll be glad you did as well. Absolutely incredible country to behold...!!!

Good luck......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    If at all possible, and for grandmas sake, you really should try and make the whole trip across on the Denali. Don't know if you've ever done it before but if you haven't you'll be glad you did as well. Absolutely incredible country to behold...!!!

Good luck......
    No I haven't, but I sure want to.

Thanks for everyone's insight.

Theres also eureka lodge and evergreen lodge at lake louise.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Might consider renting a motor home and have a mobile lodge for grandma. Options are endless for camping along denali hwy and road hunting. Do you have a trailer for quad and meat?

Quote Originally Posted by AkLocal View Post
    Might consider renting a motor home and have a mobile lodge for grandma. Options are endless for camping along denali hwy and road hunting. Do you have a trailer for quad and meat?
    Yeah I was actually offered a trailer and another machine.
    Though I hate to borrow things.
    But this for my wife and its from some of our best friends.

Quote Originally Posted by AkLocal View Post
    Might consider renting a motor home and have a mobile lodge for grandma. Options are endless for camping along denali hwy and road hunting.
    From what I hear, that depends on how busy it is. I've never seen it that way, but from what I've heard sometimes you can barely find a spot to pull off the road on the Denali......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I took my family on vacation in early July, rented an RV and drove all over the state. Drove the entire Denali Road and loved it - awesome area. Cost was $300/day for a 30 footer that was comfortable for a family of 5 but rate might be lower after peak summer season, and we could pull a trailer if we wished.