Thread: GPS Waypoint Labeling

Default GPS Waypoint Labeling

Does anyone have a specific strategy for labeling waypoints? Just leave the machine generated default? Label with the fish type caught? The depth? Something else?
    "Miss Mary"
    Kingfisher 2725, twin Yamaha 150's

Depends on what I'm marking. I do a lot of shallow water fishing around rocks and reefs, but most are not marked on charts (either electronic or paper). At most you get a wash rock here and there within the shaded blue area along the shoreline. Gotta find em and mark em. I don't even label those. I also mark the edges between two bottom types when that matters. Those don't need labels. Hot spots get a number, and I reference the number in my logs.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Excellent. Thanks BrownBear.
    "Miss Mary"

I hardly ever label

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Haha, nice, now if I could only expand that screen shot a bit...
    "Miss Mary"

I generally label them with the type of fish caught if I feel its going to be worth a return trip. If not I just use the number as a marker just so its a reminder to maybe stop in there and try if Im feeling up to it.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Had an interesting conversation last night.

A couple of years back my long-time fishing companion and the best king fisherman I've known passed on to the great beyond. His grandson inherited lots, including the boat. He just started a charter business, and confided in me that granddad left behind a very-well marked GPS.

Grandson is a good fisherman in the first place, and with that doctored up GPS, I'd say he has a very bright future on charter.

Makes me reconsider some of my marking practices. No grandson in my wake, but a son-in-law who loves to fish and is good at it. I'm sure he'd appreciate just a wee bit more info on my machine!
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

I don't label anythig, usually I know what it is when I look at it. Only 2 spots I have labeled, that's out of a say nastolgic reason where my old man caught his big one or something like that.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts