Thread: Willow Creek / Little willow creek report 7/28/16

Default Willow Creek / Little willow creek report 7/28/16

Went out last night and gave my new fly rod a workout (well tried to work it out). drifted beads for a few hours last night about 3 hours at willow creek and an hour and change at little willow just to try and get the hang of things (I am no expert to fly fishing so keep that in mind). Lost 1 nice bow at willow creek on a apricot colored bead and had several missed opportunities on smaller fish. Saw a few firetrucks swim by and the occasional humpy. Watched a guy trying to snag kings who lost one at the rocks thankfully after that and a few choice words to him he packed up and left. Saw a second person show up and tried to do the same thing and also lost one at the rocks then he left.

I then headed up to little willow to check on things. Landed a fat long nose sucker but nothign else. Saw a few silvers jumping up stream where I was fishing but nothing great in numbers. Water color was pretty cloudy so I was trying to run brighter beads to see what would work. I will be heading back out tomorrow to try my luck again and will follow up.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Thanks for the update. I was wondering how high the water is after the rain we have been having.

water was up a good amount at little willow. Willow creek was higher than usual (I live less than a mile away and have been keeping an eye on it). Was trying to figure out the right split shot combo to get a solid drift. I was bouncing between 2 and 3 splits depending on area of the river.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

What size bead were you fishing? That could have a lot to do with hits or lack thereof.

Floated the lower today. Got 5 rainbows, 2 pinks and 2 chums. No silvers in yet that I could see. Maybe a few trickling in but the water was a little high making it hard to spot them.

Went by willow creek today, looked nice to me. I didnt have time to wet a line, but probably would ve been fun.

heading back out tonight fished the little su 2 days ago no bows but lost a few humpies. Fishing 8mm beads right now both apricot, pink and ruby red

Did ok last week on llamas on the willow, no such luck with beads besides a couple chums and kings. Did 10mm fresh colored. Smaller fish nothing over 16'', not in typical good looking holes either.
    hook, line, sinker, done.

Went out last night saw 1 silver, chums are on the rise and a few bows here and there. was drifting beads as well as threw a few streamers to see what would hit. Best luck I had was on a apricot with maroon painted dot combo 8mm bead. Lost a few on that setup (trout) but nothing big. Hit several good holes but no real heavy activity. Fished with and behind the kings several times only 1 hookup on a decent bow but lost the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by ProHunterAK View Post
    Went out last night saw 1 silver, chums are on the rise and a few bows here and there. was drifting beads as well as threw a few streamers to see what would hit. Best luck I had was on a apricot with maroon painted dot combo 8mm bead. Lost a few on that setup (trout) but nothing big. Hit several good holes but no real heavy activity. Fished with and behind the kings several times only 1 hookup on a decent bow but lost the fish.
    Fishing behind kings, you might want to go to a bigger bead. 10mm for a minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Fishing behind kings, you might want to go to a bigger bead. 10mm for a minimum.
    And be sure the kings are in a spawning lie and are actively spawning.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    And be sure the kings are in a spawning lie and are actively spawning.
    Yeah make sure there is actually a female on a redd. Sometimes numerous males will hang out on a freshly made bed after the hen is done and gone and those males can fool fisherman, but not trout.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

In rivers with heavy fishing pressure such as the Willow, the larger trout will not be directly behind the kings or near them. They will be downstream in the nearest run, log jam, or bucket. Sometimes this can be 20-100+ feet below the kings.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Thanks for the heads up I plan on hitting the river tomorrow morning before the kids birthday party. Got a few new setups I want to throw at them. I am planning on my first ever float in the very near future (solo raft) but still waiting to see if a buddy can swing time off to join me if not I will be waiting until I can connect with someone else who has floated it so I have some type of backup if things get ugly.

Anyone been out lately? King beads still the ticket? May head out this evening.

Got a few on smaller beads yesterday, water was just about perfect.