Thread: Yamaha Electrical Problem

Default Yamaha Electrical Problem

I have a Yamaha 115/80 Jet that has developed an electrical issue. She was running smooth then for no given reason it started cutting in and out. When I stopped to investigate she quit running. When I tried the power tilt it too was inop. Tightened battery connections and everything operated as advertised. Yesterday it started then immediately quit. I tried to re start but there was not enough juice to engage starter. Checked the terminals and found the positive side hot, burnt the heck out of myself. Soooo does the engine need battery voltage once started in order to keep running. I assumed the motor had a magneto or that sort of thing once running. Before I start replacing parts maybe you can educate me.

Thanks for all the input

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There a lot of things that could be causing your problem. The positive terminals getting hot is not good, it may be because the connection is corroded if so clean and put dielectric grease on it. If the connector or cable is bad, replace it.

If you will tell us what the battery voltage is with and with out a load it would help to narrow down the problem.

If everything was running fine before, I would get the battery tested and check all connections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

Sounds like dirty connections @ the battery to me as well.
    Dig out the wire brush and disconnect cables clean er up good and and reconnect.

I had a Yamaha starting problem and a buddy came over, took off every single electrical connection, wire brushed it, sprayed T-9 on it and replaced it. The culprit was the ground. None of the connections looked corroded, I was amazed. Don't trust your eyeballs, just because it looks fine, doesn't mean it is
    The Tug is the Drug
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    2007 Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore - Evinrude Etec 225 - "Eagle VI"

Thanks I'll be back to the cabin Aug 6 and will let you know how she is acting after I clean connections

Replace your outboard's battery cables. I have been through this many times on a number of boats (including last week). They go bad faster than the rest of the wiring on a boat. Hot and smoking terminals, slow to crank, intermittent tilt trim, motor cutting out when you hit the tilt trim, and crazy acting chartplotter/depthfinders are all symptoms of possible bad battery cables.

Sobie2

As stated, test battery, clean connections and replace wingnut/s on batt terminals with a SS locknut.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    Replace your outboard's battery cables. I have been through this many times on a number of boats (including last week). They go bad faster than the rest of the wiring on a boat. Hot and smoking terminals, slow to crank, intermittent tilt trim, motor cutting out when you hit the tilt trim, and crazy acting chartplotter/depthfinders are all symptoms of possible bad battery cables.

Sobie2
    Agree completely! Customer's boat had issues cranking, 225 Yamaha. Replaced cables as they were heating up.
    Spins motor like a top and starts instantly.

Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

I had the same problem a couple years ago. Polar wire made up new cables for fair price and my motors ran great ever since

27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

That really sounds like the culprit. I'm going to have to fly out Sunday and measure the cables. Is polar wire in Anchorage?

Brayton Drive just north of Dimond. 561 5955

Quote Originally Posted by cplne View Post
    That really sounds like the culprit. I'm going to have to fly out Sunday and measure the cables. Is polar wire in Anchorage?

2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

If your going to replace the cables (power and ground) I suggest using one to two sizes larger. Most builders never use the proper size cables. Use S.S. nuts non-locking they have lower resistance than locking nuts. Dielectric grease on all connection and battery cable covers (red and black). This would be a good time to wire the battery system per ABYC to prevent future problems. Only if the boat was in town not at the cabin in case you got over your head. If the battery is still good but old replace it.

Hey guys I am having cables made up Tuesday. I'll let you know if I have further issues. Thank you for all the suggestions