Thread: Anyone fish Adak?

Default Anyone fish Adak?

Headed out there this Sunday. Will be there for a week. Any good fishing spots to try?

I go to Adak once or twice a year. You can take light gear and cheap tackle and just fish off the rock wall and catch some really nice black rockfish and rock greenling. You will lose gear fishing off the jetty but most of the times, you don't have to let your lure hit bottom in order to catch the black rockfish. I would cast and begin your retrieve immediately. If you don't get a strike, count to 5 then retrieve. Keep lengthening the drop length until you find the fish or the bottom. It about a 45 deg angle meaning its 100 ft deep 100 ft from shore. I'd use plastic mister twister style baits either on a jig head or rigged carolina style. But anything will work.

I think it may be too early but in Finger Bay there is a small stream at the head of the bay where there is a decent sized pink salmon run with the occasional silver's mixed in.

If you have access to a boat, we have caught big halibut right off the end of the runway in about 80 feet of water.

I don't' know much about the freshwater fishing but there are supposedly dollies in some of the small streams.
    13307435_10209105315497510_4545553370169463887_n.jpg

13615173_10209388003244527_8201190463745247427_n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    I go to Adak once or twice a year. You can take light gear and cheap tackle and just fish off the rock wall and catch some really nice black rockfish and rock greenling. You will lose gear fishing off the jetty but most of the times, you don't have to let your lure hit bottom in order to catch the black rockfish. I would cast and begin your retrieve immediately. If you don't get a strike, count to 5 then retrieve. Keep lengthening the drop length until you find the fish or the bottom. It about a 45 deg angle meaning its 100 ft deep 100 ft from shore. I'd use plastic mister twister style baits either on a jig head or rigged carolina style. But anything will work.

I think it may be too early but in Finger Bay there is a small stream at the head of the bay where there is a decent sized pink salmon run with the occasional silver's mixed in.

If you have access to a boat, we have caught big halibut right off the end of the runway in about 80 feet of water.

I don't' know much about the freshwater fishing but there are supposedly dollies in some of the small streams.
    13307435_10209105315497510_4545553370169463887_n.jpg

13615173_10209388003244527_8201190463745247427_n.jpg
    Thanks for the info. I'll have to grab some mister twisters. Did you keep the rock fish or were you just catch and release? I know they are good eating, but not sure I want to carry fish back with me. I'm going there for work, just wanted to do something in my spare time.

Lake Andrew was excellent Dolly fishing when I was there (1965-67). used to buy cans of cocktail shrimp at the commissary, rig a bobber at about 2 to 3 ft and float the shrimp out into the lake from any of the many streams running into the lake.. We used to fish for halibut from the Rocks at Zeto point, using candle fish (hooligan) for bait.

Grew up out there, check out Thumb cove if your up for an afternoon hike.
    Black bass are good eating.

Take pics, cool place.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

I just released the rockfish. Some beautiful looking rock greenling too.

we did catch a few halibut off zeto point close to shore off a boat in 30 ft of water so like old John mentioned I can see it being a possibility

all the small ditches and ponds were loaded with sticklebacks and snails so I wouldn't doubt if there were decent dollies amongst them. I was too mesmerized by the saltwater to try the freshwater. Chances are the weather will suck. but on the rare sunny days, you'd swear you are in Hawaii.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Snagging was allowed in the bay (salt water) when I was there. (Silver & pinks ) (Early 80s)
    Surf casting rod with a big weight & 4 or 5 big treble hooks was the method most used.

PS: Visit the Adak National forest ,
    I wonder if the tree is still alive ?

Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy View Post
    Snagging was allowed in the bay (salt water) when I was there. (Silver & pinks ) (Early 80s)
    Surf casting rod with a big weight & 4 or 5 big treble hooks was the method most used.

PS: Visit the Adak National forest ,
    I wonder if the tree is still alive ?
    Pic is from 2014 but it was still there a month ago! lol. Also next to it is the pet cemetery which was allegedly in the movie "Pet Sematary"

8631319857_77f023a290_o.jpg