Thread: Which 150 Class Outboard?

Default Which 150 Class Outboard?

So I'm trying to decide on outboards for a possible new boat build. Our plan is to have a new 27' Wooly Pilothouse built and want to go with twin 150's. Yamaha, Mercury or Suzuki. I've heard Bass Pro is the place to go for Mercury and have great prices. Suzuki has great reviews, but where do ya go for service in Anchorage? Yamaha has been very good to me over the years, but I'm curious to see what everyone has to say about other brands and I'm trying to save a little cash in the process. They all seem to be pretty equal in weight, some performance data shows the Mercury to be more fuel efficient than the others. I'm not interested in Evinrudes at all. So, what do you all think?
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

The Suzuki 150 has a lower gear ratio & will spin a larger prop than the other mfrs. Here is a comparison of the three mfrs: http://www.suzukimarine.com/product%...012/df150.aspx The DF175 Suzuki is the same motor as the 150 except at higher rpm's the fuel injection gives you the extra 25HP.

You can call George @ Anchorage Yamaha to talk about the OB's - He sells Suzuki + works on both Yamaha & Suzuki OB's.
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

I have a friend who has a Suzuki DF175 and it has been a superb motor on their 220 OceanPro... for over a decade. As akdeweyj says it is the same as their DF150.

I had a Yamaha F150 on my 220 OceanPro and it was okay, I have a friend who has one and it has been a bit less than reliable than it should be. But there are thousands of F150s out there that are way reliable and you should not have any second thoughts on a Yamaha.

With that said I am totally sold on the Mercury 150 four stroke. A lot of the charter and whale watch boats in Juneau have been going towards that motor because you can do all of the maintenance yourself and there is no need to take it to get serviced to have the valve train adjusted (which the other four strokes need to have done). For those guys that is once a month and they are saving lots on that aspect alone. AND the motors have been reliable. It doesn't hurt that the price seems to be the lowest of all the 150s out there. BassPro at one point was offering $9,999 and even in Juneau a new dealer was offering the same. I think the Yamaha was asking $14k.

In the end it usually comes to who you really like and trust for parts and service. What ever you end up running, save yourself a lot of headaches and always stabilize your fuel, that in addition to a Racor water/fuel separator (or equivalent) will keep your motor trouble free for a long long time.

Wooldridge can outfit any motor on your boat at their factor, and probably for the best price anywhere you will find. But I don't know if you can do that if you do the build through a local Wooldridge boat dealer.

Sobie2

Suzuki...best bang for the buck and Anchorage Yamaha (dealer) is awesome.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Just got off the phone with the guys from anchorage Yamaha. I really like what he had to say about the new Suzuki too. So I'll see what we can work out and go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MMSI# 338232859

Rob,

Buy the Suzuki. Buy it, buy it, buy it. Super reliable, just as good as the Yamaha. The real kicker is the fuel consumption. You get more HP with almost identical fuel consumption on the Suzuki 175 vs. the Yamaha 150. My next boat will absolutely have the twin 175's.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Definitely go with suzuki. If anything for the great customer service you will receive at Anchorage Yamaha. Dave and George will treat you with respect and have no issues explaining anything to you in great detail. Their quality of customer service is definitely lacking from other dealers in town. Prices can't be beat either. Even by bass pro. Bass pro wanted $5k to install my twin engines. No thanks. Dave and George were very fair with install costs and up front with anything that might be encountered along the way. There was some issues on my end with the engine buying and they went above and beyond to help me get everything corrected to get me out on the water. When you spend $40k on engines or $10 on parts, great customer service goes a long way. Yours would much much simpler as it wouldn't have any engines on it already.

The engines have been great to me so far. DF250's that have treated me well even at the pump. Can't say for longevity yet as I only have about 13 hours on them.

Wow. This is exactly what I was hoping to hear. I got an email back from Wooldridge today and we are getting very close to making this happen. With 175 Zukes.

MMSI# 338232859

Either zukes or mec's can't go wrong. Since the only differance in the name on out side.

Bass pro has been great for me but I've not had any issues. Secondly Mercury Warranty at 8 years is hard to pass up!

Since your buying a new boat. I'd see what deal Glenn can come up with he should be able to beat any prices you could get up here.

Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Yeah it's looking that way. They've been pretty awesome with sending me info and pricing so far. And I didn't know that Merc had that great of warranty. Wow

MMSI# 338232859

I priced out Mercury at bass pro before going with Suzukis. Their listed cost does not include controls, gauge or prop which pushed it significantly higher than the df250's at anchorage yamaha. Bass pro also wanted $5000 labor to rig two new outboards. Yes, that is the price they quoted me. wanted 40 hours of labor cost.

Does Mercury run a gear reduction at the power head? As far as I know suzuki is the only one offering this. How can the Mercury and suzuki be the same in everything but name?

I love my Mercs!!!
    Currently have a 115 on the back of my boat and it's a great motor.
    I coupled it with a set of smart craft gauges and can also integrate it into a multifunction display when I upgrade mt unit.
    The best part is being able to dial in my trolling speed by pushing a button.

Suzy 175's hands down. Doesn't matter to ya up in anc but down here Merc is a summer only shop so doesn't work for us.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

I have a 30' Hewes Craft with twin Yamaha 150's on it. The motors are 10 years old and have just over 1100 hours on them. The only issue I've had so far is I had to replace the coils on one motor this year. Other than that they have been perfect. I get 1.9-2.0 mph between 24 and 36 mph. WOT is about 42 or so but at 35 gph, so I don't do that often.