Thread: floating tokositna river

Cool floating tokositna river

Has anyone floated the tokositna all the way into the chulitna?
    I was wondering if there was enough water in the Tokositna to float it
    and is there a place to get dropped a ways up the river.
    How is the fishing?
    Thanks

Default tokosittna floar

Since no one else is chiming in, Ill throw my 2 cents in. We hiked in to home lake from the petersville road one time when I worked for the park and had a raft dropped at home lake. It's about 8 or 10 miles hiking if i remember right to get to home lake. mostly above treeline with pretty good game trails down off of long point to home lake. Its a good mellow float down the tokositna to the chulitna. we pulled out at the parks highway bridge on the chulitna by where the princess lodge is now. THis was back in 96 so i dont know how the river has changed since then. BTW, you'll know when you get out in front of the ruth glacier, the air will suddenly get really cold!! Stop in at the Tokositna lodge for some coffee and sweet rolls if their still open.

Default tokositna

thanks for the information. did you do any fishing along the way?

Sad to say, we didnt, we were marking the southern boundary of the state park and had carried in alot of gear, I sure wish we would have had our rods dropped with the raft though!!

Anyone got any more to add to what dkwarthog said? More recent experience? Could you go out of Bunco Lake too?

Default jet boat

We hunted moose on the Tokositna the fall of 2002 or maby 03 with a jet boat. The first couple of miles (from the chulitna) has some standing waves and large boulders (easy for a raft) then after that it becomes a slow meandering river. We turned around shortly before the lake. That year a glacial dam had broke not to long before our arival. Huge swathes of trees were torn out. It must have been something to see first hand.

Default Tokositna Expedition

We do a float trip on the Tokositna River with clients throughout the summer. Mostly it is a scenic float with some opportunities for fishing and hunting. The number of moose in the area has dropped significantly, due to the large number of black bear. Some reports say there is around 4500 of the black critters running around, when the area should only be supporting roughly 1500-2000! The fishing can be good when timed correctly. The reds were super late this last season (I hope somebody from BOF reads this!!!). The second week in August was the first substantial group of reds seen at the known holes. Fortunately the silver salmon were much better, but they were pretty late in the season as well (early Sept). The best place to access is Home Lake, short hike and relatively easy float, the "boulder garden" is Class 1 1/2 for beginner paddlers. Hope this helps and if you're looking for more info, drop me a PM.

Tim
    www.matsuexpeditions.com - Alaskan Wilderness Fishing & Rafting

TimK/slow reflection, thanks for the responses. I'm thinking about taking some out-of-state friends on a float from Home Lake down the Tokositna and Chulitna, ending back at Talkeetna. I've canoed from where the Parks Hwy crosses the east fork of the Chulitna all the way down to Willow Creek, so I am familiar with the area. I've hiked up from the Chulitna to the Ruth Glacier and saw the lower portion of the Tokositna from shore. I wasn't sure what the upper part was like.

My friends have no river experience - they just said that while they were up here (first week in July) they wanted to go rafting. I've canoed thousands of river miles from flatwater up to Class III, been in guided rafts in water up to Class V, but have never been in command of a raft. We'll be in Talkeenta for other things and this looks like a good float - scenic, fast without too much whitewater, and fits our schedule.

Now, I need to figure out where to rent rafts from (the closer to Talkeetna the better) and schedule a couple of trips before they get here to get used to a raft instead of a canoe.