Thread: Haul Road Pike

Default Haul Road Pike

Heading up the Haul once again and I want to do a little more fishing this time. I'm well versed in the grayling of the slope, but I'm curious as to the other species. Are there any rivers along the way north of Fairbanks where I can pull out a few pike? I'm also going to fish the bigger lakes for Lake trout and char. Thanks, Pm if you don't wan the info public, I understand

I don't know for sure because I've never fished for them up there, but I would imagine some of the smaller lakes or ponds hold pike as well. When I was guiding hunters over in the Mulchatna drainage so many of those little lakes we landed on held pike. But maybe up that far north it's different?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

dang, that mulchatna is farther south than ANC. Well, I'm sure we'll be wetting lines in anything that looks fishy, regardless of actual fish. Some of them have to have some, maybe concentrate on pike more around FBKS

Jim River has pike in it. It's somewhere around mile 130-150 I believe. In between the Arctic Circle Wayside and Coldfoot. Another thing you should try out is sea-run dollies in the Sag River. There is some really nice Dollies in that river. Haven't tried for Lake Trout up there but I know there are some in Galbraith Lake and Toolik Lakes. Might be hard to catch them mid-summer but if you are headed up in the fall you might get lucky.

nice, we'll definitely hit jim river then. I've got the archery bull moose permit for that area south of coldfoot, so we'll be around there for a about a week or so. that'll be excellent. we're really hoping for the sea run dollies to be in the sag, my brother is super stoked to catch an arctic ocean run fish.

Quote Originally Posted by winibezold View Post
    ....Well, I'm sure we'll be wetting lines in anything that looks fishy, regardless of actual fish....
    Yes, that's what I was getting at. Some of those ponds and small lakes you might see in the distance may be worth making the hike out to. I was pretty surprised at some of the water that held pike...
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!