Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meat trailer

Default Meat trailer

Thinking about building a meat trailer. I'm looking for ideas on a design. Will be aluminum. Post some Pics. Can't wait to see them. Also any pros and cons found regarding single or double axel and walking.
    Been wanting to build one for a while. Time to get it done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fuel can rack on the outside. Didn't think about that once when I was younger and less experienced. Funny how pervasive gasoline odor is!

I built a couple of meat trailer with brakes. One was hydraulic the other I used a bar that lock the wheels, If I did it again I would have electric brakes.

Brakes on a meat trailer? Never heard of that.

Like surge brakes?

Don't rule out a Rubbermaid tote trailer. I didn't think I'd like these at first, but after using it for a while now, I'm sold. The tank is a 100 gal. stock tank bolted to a steel frame. If you want a lid, a 50 gal. tank is the same rim dimension, just 1/2 the height and makes a great lid when you flip it over on top. I made several of these a couple summers ago and ended up keeping one for myself. Very quiet compared to metal trailers too.

AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

My issue is that I have just purchased a 2014 ranger 8006x6 and it's taller than my currant trailer from tag along in anchorage. So I guess I'm looking for trailer configurations for a 6x6.

The rubber maids are a bit small for what I'm doing. But great for a wheeler.

I bought one that came from Karold's Welding in Fairbanks. I think the design is great and better than many others. The tub and tongue is all aluminum, no steel, except for the spindles and ball coupler. I've used it for 3 years now and I have no complaints. I installed the rubber fender flares to keep mud from slinging up on the lid and I also installed a rear tow point.
    Attached Images Attached Images

A few more pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like my Rubbermaid. Bought from a guy off CL in Wasilla for 900. I don't think it will every break!

Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

I'm liking the looks of the aluminum trailer. How are the walking axels? Pros,cons?

The walking axle works great - it distributes the load, results in less ground pressure, and rides over bumps much smoother than a single axle. The only possible con that I see is that in really deep and thick mud 4 tires may be harder to pull through as opposed to 2 tires. I can't verify which pulls through mud easier, 2 or 4 tires, considering 4 tires should float a little better. Anyway, I'm sure liking Karold's trailer.

Lots of good things pointed out in previous posts. Walking beam, fuel on outside, cover/fenders to keep mud out, and rear tow point. All of them I would have on my trailer. Not noted but in pics is cover hold downs on front and back not side. anything on the side will get tore off on the first tree. I would also include some type of tiedown on cover for excess stuff. I have chainsaw mount on 4 wheeler because we have to cut 5-20 trees going in some years. If possible make bottom a full skid plate so it will not get stuck on rock/stump. On good trails rubbermaid trailer should do great.
    DENNY

I'm going to be pulling the trailer with a 2014 ranger 800 6x6. I'm wanting to avoid using a deep drop hitch. How could I get the tongue hight up without making the trailer too unstable?

Offset the tongue to a comfortable height, it doesn't have to be straight out.

Dave at Tag Along can customize the trailer you already have. He just put a new center axle on mine giving me a little over an inch of extra clearance. I used it on the back of my 6x6 with no issues. I have about 14 inches of trailer clearance now, maybe more.

My trailer happens to be a tag along. I had him make a top for me. I'm looking to build my own aluminum trailer this go around. Haven't welded aluminum in years so it's about time to brush up on those skills lol.

Anyone have pics of a built in fuel cell?

Instead of a built in what about a built on. Add a fuel tank to the outside that way there will be no possible way to contaminant the equipment/meat or loose space inside of the trailer.

BTW How do you intend to get the fuel out of the tank?

Quote Originally Posted by LOCALAK907 View Post
    Haven't welded aluminum in years so it's about time to brush up on those skills lol.

Welding thin wall aluminum takes a lot of skill, I hope you have a good welder or like to grind aluminum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast