Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting With an Infant

Default Hunting With an Infant

Does anyone have any tips, tricks, suggestions, or experience hunting with an infant?

My wife loves to hunt as much as I do and she would really love the opportunity to try and fill her Unit 13 caribou tag this fall. We, however, are also expecting our first child any day now. That means our little guy will be somewhere between 3 and 8 weeks old during the fall season.

We may be completely off our rockers for even considering going hunting with such a young child, but we're at least investigating it to see if we should even try. I don't expect us to be doing any intense backpack hunting, mainly sticking closer to the highway (yes I understand that lowers our odds). If anyone has ever attempted something like this before, I would love to hear about your experiences and if there was anything you would do differently in the future.

Thanks!
    -Steven

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Done it, no issues. Mom needs to breast feed and everything happens at a much slower pace then your probably used to.
    Don't expect a whole lot as even riding a Wheeler with the kiddo strapped to your chest inside your coat is alot to ask as its pretty bouncy.
    At 6 weeks ours was on her first week long pws trip with us chasing black bears and she's an outdoors girl still.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

Been a while since I had a kid that young but-
    Set your expectations for a slower pace and more crap to haul around and carry on if the wife feels up to it.

You can be very successful closer to the highway if you take your time... find a nice spot to throw up a big deluxe camp for mom and little and wait for them to wander by. Take a fly rod to alleviate boredom.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Definitely go for it. We took our 3 week old on a fly out hunt last year and was definitely worth it, Definitely plan on more gear and slower going. Might be worth a wall tent and stove as the warmth is good insurance for the family! good Luck, have fun, enjoy the family time it doesn't get any better then taking the family hunting.

Good on yer wife for wanting to get outdoors. No experience hunting with an infant but I was also thinking a hot tent would be the best way to go. Maybe do some moose calling from camp. Folks been doing this for millennia, it's certainly doable. Just find ways to do it without stressing wife or infant.

Brings back memories. I remember when my kids were that little and we used to take them on float trips and yes once we even did the Denali highway for a caribou hunt. Lower your expectations for success and you'll be just fine. Success however doesn't necessarily mean you have to fill your tag. Bringing your family on a trip like that is a success in and of itself if you catch my drift. When we did float trips we had a joke that we had three hours max on the river. The first hour the kids were laughing and having a good time. The second hour the kids were all asleep on the boat. The third hour the kids were all crying. That is when we had to pull of the river and set up camp. Bring lots of warm gear for your wife and your little one. Bring a Mr. buddy heater along to keep them comfortable. Bring lots of snacks and food to make it comfortable and everyone will be just fine. It will be an adventure for sure. Lots of memories and I'm sure it will be just a start to many more adventures to come.

Let that baby holler for a little bit and get on a knob or something where you can see for a long way off. From a distance, a newborn baby sounds just like a baby moose in distress. Free bear call, 2 for 1 caribou trip!!!
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

you'll do fine hunting with an infant. Heck some of the adults I guided do more crying and need more pampering than any of my children I took hunting. LOL

We have done it too. Infants don't need much. They stay pretty warm in a front packer & jammies, & of course- foods at the ready. Having a warm, dry & safe place to come sleep & hang out at is pretty huge. Protecting baby ears around gunfire should be considered. Nursing moms need ALOT of water. It is a great time to camp/hunt as a family with children. Take LOTS of pictures!!

My daughter was a bit older(4 months) but she did great on her momma's bull elk hunt at 10k ft in Utah. Momma even shot a great bull! Sometimes going a bit slower isn't a bad thing at all!

Wow, thank you everyone for the responses and encouragement! I read them all to my wife, who got very excited to hear that other mothers have managed to do it before. We're definitely more excited to give it a shot now and agree that we'll just take it slow and enjoy the time together.

Well there's been who know many babies born in Alaska over the last couple thousand years who lived like this from birth. Pretty sure all the Alaska native peoples kept their babies at the ready from day one and a gathering lifestyle never stops. Might be stressful but the memories will be awesome!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

My only suggestion is to let her bring EVERYTHING she thinks she needs to keep her and the baby comfortable and happy. Does it suck having almost your whole house in the truck? yeah, but it is way more fun to be out road hunting with all your stuff than back at home not hunting at all!

Quote Originally Posted by johnnycake View Post
    My only suggestion is to let her bring EVERYTHING she thinks she needs to keep her and the baby comfortable and happy. Does it suck having almost your whole house in the truck? yeah, but it is way more fun to be out road hunting with all your stuff than back at home not hunting at all!
    Very good point! I agree! +1

Steven_JR- My wife and I are also expecting our first child here very soon. We will also be looking to fill her Caribou tag, maybe we'll run into each other down the road. Congrats on the new addition.

Quote Originally Posted by FullFreezer View Post
    Steven_JR- My wife and I are also expecting our first child here very soon. We will also be looking to fill her Caribou tag, maybe we'll run into each other down the road. Congrats on the new addition.
    Thank you very much and congratulations on your new addition as well!

*one more thing, since my kids didn't take well to the breastfeeding thing. There are these great (little pricey) enfamil/similac newborn premixed formulas in 2, 4, and 8 oz IIRC with disposable nipples. They are sealed, stabilized, etc. so you just keep them in your pocket or inside your coat so they are body temp and bam. Easy bottle feeding that is sanitary for mom and fast enough for a screaming baby.

Johnny sometimes they take to breastfeeding better with the mom....in case that helps. Lol
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by jubilation View Post
    We have done it too. Infants don't need much. !
    Yeah, newborns are pretty easy to deal with in the field....now once they're toddlers through about 5 or 6...then you'll have your hands full. You just keep plugging away at it and then before you know it. you're taking a grip and grin with your kid holding the antlers.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Johnny sometimes they take to breastfeeding better with the mom....in case that helps. Lol
    And here I thought I was starting'em out right by teaching them to floss while they eat! Lol, that was pretty funny. But for us, my daughter was premature and way too small for the first two months of her life. And after tube then bottle feeding, breast feeding just never worked. My wife stressed over how to feed her warm bottles while hunting without plumbing, etc, almost to the point that she wanted to turn her tag back in. Luckily, we found those premixed bottles and we had a great hunt!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast