Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Reds traveling up the Kenai - How fast

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Valdez, AK
    Posts
    225

    Default Reds traveling up the Kenai - How fast

    How long will it take reds to travel past the counter to get to the Soldotna bridge? I know there are a lot of factors and conditions. I have asked people and have said everything from 8 to 48 hours.,what are your thoughts?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Soldotna, AK
    Posts
    254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rod123 View Post
    How long will it take reds to travel past the counter to get to the Soldotna bridge? I know there are a lot of factors and conditions. I have asked people and have said everything from 8 to 48 hours.,what are your thoughts?
    no more than a couple hours. Maybe 3 at the very most it's only a mile or two at most

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rod123 View Post
    How long will it take reds to travel past the counter to get to the Soldotna bridge? I know there are a lot of factors and conditions. I have asked people and have said everything from 8 to 48 hours.,what are your thoughts?
    I think some people have the counters confused. The sockeye counter is at RM 19. The chinook counter at RM 14. So let me give you some idea of travel times. Early in the season fish entering the mouth on a tide (July 1-10th) it can take 2-4 days to reach the counter at RM19.. Fish are maturing and there is no push to get to the spawning grounds. However from July 10th to 20th travel time increases and it is 1-3 days. After July 20th they can move from the river mouth to the sonar counter around 24-36 hours. They are really pushing as the clock it ticking to get to the spawning grounds. I base these times on watching fish at the river mouth and then seeing the pulse at the counter over the last 30 plus years. From the sonar counter at RM 19 to the bridge at Soldotna is quick. If you see 4-5k at the sonar counter you will see that within an hour at the Soldotna Bridge at this point in the season.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerka View Post
    If you see 4-5k at the sonar counter you will see that within an hour at the Soldotna Bridge at this point in the season.
    It would be nice if the counter was LIVE on the interwebs somewhere. You would think that in this day and age, that would be pretty easy to do.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    anchorage
    Posts
    106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigDipper View Post
    It would be nice if the counter was LIVE on the interwebs somewhere. You would think that in this day and age, that would be pretty easy to do.
    Thats for fish and games eyes only. They never bend the truth either.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wsg7057 View Post
    Thats for fish and games eyes only. They never bend the truth either.
    What does that mean they never bend the truth. Any evidence of this on the counts? Also they make the data available daily and calling 262-9611 you can get the morning count and sometimes the noon count. I call all the time and they give it to anyone who asks if they have the data.

  7. #7
    Member pike_palace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the 907
    Posts
    2,326

    Default

    I would like to know, how in even years, how they differentiate what are Pinks and what are Sockeye going through the counter.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wsg7057 View Post
    Thats for fish and games eyes only. They never bend the truth either.
    They are very open about the numbers. If you've ever actually talked to them and asked, you would know that.

    Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    I would like to know, how in even years, how they differentiate what are Pinks and what are Sockeye going through the counter.
    I believe they use a fish wheel and a test net to see the % of Pinks/etc. they catch and then apply that % to their sonar hits. Probably slightly more complicated than that, but that's the long and short. Remember, it is an "estimate".

    Remember, there were very high counts in August last year, which was not a Pink year. This is corroborated by good catches in the commercial fishery at the end of the season. I know several people who fish up by the Kenai and said that their last day of the season was their best day last year. Of course that was only a handful of people because, like in every fishery, the ones complaining the loudest that they didn't catch enough had already packed up and left...

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, Washington
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerka View Post
    What does that mean they never bend the truth. Any evidence of this on the counts?
    I interpreted the statement as indicating that ADF&G never bends the truth. That is, they provide the best information they can, whenever they can. There is no indication of sarcasm in the statement.

    So, yes, there is plenty of evidence that ADF&G never bends the truth. The most obvious being that they have no reason or incentive to do so.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    I would like to know, how in even years, how they differentiate what are Pinks and what are Sockeye going through the counter.
    Tbsmith is correct - they use fishwheels and nets when needed. The problem is late in August the pinks start spawning and milling in front of the counter. At that point they usually terminate the counts.

  11. #11
    Member aces-n-eights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerka View Post
    ... Early in the season fish entering the mouth on a tide (July 1-10th) it can take 2-4 days to reach the counter at RM19.. Fish are maturing and there is no push to get to the spawning grounds. However from July 10th to 20th travel time increases and it is 1-3 days. After July 20th they can move from the river mouth to the sonar counter around 24-36 hours. They are really pushing as the clock it ticking to get to the spawning grounds...
    This is the best answer I've heard to the age-old question of "how fast do fish travel". Thanks Nerka.
    English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •