Thread: Advice on small oil leak for Mercury Sportjet...

Default Advice on small oil leak for Mercury Sportjet...

Hi Everyone-

I noticed some small drops of oil coming from this black connector on the oil pump...not a lot...just a little after I have been running the motor at high RPM for a little while.. No audible alarms when I start up.

I really do not want to bring the boat in to the dealer in the middle of our season. Is this connector something I can just unplug, clean an re-seat ? Is oil going to come rushing out?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I do not think cleaning the connection will help. Have you tried tightening it? I've had good luck using tread seal.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    I do not think cleaning the connection will help. Have you tried tightening it? I've had good luck using tread seal.
    I've not done anything yet. I looked in service manual but did not really see this part or what to do with it. Not even sure how to tighten this connection. Is this the oil pressure sensor?

M.

The picture is not that good, if wires are coming out of it you may be right about it being a sensor. All it takes is a open end wrench that fit the sensor and turn it CW. If your not comfortable doing it yourself do you know of a shop that works on boats or cars or someone at work, it should not take 15 min.

Is the oil coming from around the thread or from where the wires are?

Hmmm...good question. I see that the picture is too dark to see this connector. Let me re-photograph and post next week. It looks to me like the oil is coming out from between the black connector and the oil pump.

That is not a sensor, that is the power to the oil injection pump, it is a computer controlled variable ratio electric oil pump. There shouldn't be oil coming out of the connector

Quote Originally Posted by akgravelpumper View Post
    That is not a sensor, that is the power to the oil injection pump, it is a computer controlled variable ratio electric oil pump. There shouldn't be oil coming out of the connector
    ok.. oil may be leaking from above that power connector then draining to this point and that is where I see it. Im going to have to run the boat at high RPM and check the pump...That will require my wife to take the controls...and steer.........

Thanks!

I wouldn't like to see oil leaking anywhere near my oil pump