Thread: preferred rod, reel and line combo for trolling

Default preferred rod, reel and line combo for trolling

It would be interesting to hear what the preferred rod, reel and line combos for trolling are out there amongst you all. Thanks

Have you read this recent thread? Lots for you to chew on in there.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

I prefer to use the same rod and real I use for everything else, but I use divers not down riggers.
    My rod is a 7'6" Hercules seeker with an Avet 2 speed lever drag reel wound with 80lb test braid.
    If your using a down rigger you'll need a different set up.
    Only fish for silvers, and when they are in just about anything seems to work.

Forgot, when I'm tolling I tie on a top shot of about a 15 feet of mono with a blood knot..
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Yep, I saw that after I submitted my post. Good stuff. I am not the seasoned salmon fisherman as you all are but I get better each year. Ha. I've been using a 9 ft. Fenwick with a Calcutta 4000. Also a Penn Battle on a spin cast rod. I like the Fen and Calcutta the best. But I am losing more fish than I should be. So, I'm just curious as to what you pros are using. Especially line. Flouro, braid, Lb test, etc. I lost a beautiful fish last year in Valdez. He was airborne and broke the line or something. and I had a audience. Great fun though. I enjoy this forum and glean a lot from it. All your help and expertise is so appreciated. And shoot, I know we all lose fish, but sometimes you lose one that makes me say dirty words. Of course that can go the other way as well.

Thanks Breausaw, same goes here, I don't use downriggers, just the deep divers. 80lb. test? Wow, guess I need to step up. Good advice. So is your leader 80lb. test?

Quote Originally Posted by tahobie View Post
    Thanks Breausaw, same goes here, I don't use downriggers, just the deep divers. 80lb. test? Wow, guess I need to step up. Good advice. So is your leader 80lb. test?
    I think I've been using 60lb for the top shot and 40lb below the terminal tackle. Have had big silvers rap around trim tabs and brake gear so I go with pretty heavy stuff, even than the big ones can rip up gear.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Quote Originally Posted by tahobie View Post
    But I am losing more fish than I should be. So, I'm just curious as to what you pros are using. Especially line. Flouro, braid, Lb test, etc.
    Other than line breaks, you left off the most important issue in losing fish: Hook sharpness. Not all hooks are created equal. I use Owner hooks about 90% of the time because they're so much sharper than Gamakatzu. I usually have to sharpen Gami's to get what I want, but I'm yet to ever have to sharpen an Owner. And I check all hooks for sharpness.

Try this yourself. Put the hook point lightly against the middle of your thumbnail with light pressure. If it slides or scratches, it's dull. If it digs in and won't move, it's sharp.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Great advice, thanks brownbear. Just yesterday I was talking about sharpening hooks with a buddy. And you're right, I have not checked my hooks. Which is probably one of the reasons I have been losing fish, and I should've known better. Keep it up with those words of wisdom.